Black Knight Invite

nhs67

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If we’re assuming these guys weigh the same which obviously they don’t, I’d take 133 in 1-4 and 125 in every match after that, with 125 probably getting a fair amount of bonus in the bottom half.  Kaylor is #30 and is a previous AA, just an example of the depth

Previous AA that has since regressed, based on actual results.

Regressed may not be the proper word.  He peaked at the right tournament and hasn't peaked as high since.

I disagree on everything else you said, as well.

We will never know, though.  Typically we have been given examples of weight classes existing for a reason and have seen the larger guys win.  Especially down here at 125/133.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Regressed may not be the proper word.  He peaked at the right tournament and hasn't peaked as high since.

We will never know, though.  Typically we have been given examples of weight classes existing for a reason and have seen the larger guys win.  Especially down here at 125/133.

I think you’re being too literal.  I was saying hypothetically if they were in the same weight class and thus no one was “larger.”

Kaylor has been inconsistent but just last year still had wins over Brandon Courtney, Ventresca, and Peterson among others.

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Braxton Brown, #22 at 125 takes out Vinny Santaniello, #13 at 133…

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Looked pretty good doing it too.

That he did.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don't think we will see him at 125 any longer.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Sorry I didn't reply with a more detailed response.

Santaniello isn't a very good example, as he is just coming up from 125 as well.  Add in that he was well overranked to begin with based on a victory over Bouzakis?  Not sure how or why he was ranked so highly based on one win against another RS-Frosh?  I mean.. he was already on a two match skid weren't he?

I get what you're trying to say or do here, but this match doesn't indicate anything.  As much as I say weight classes exist for a reason, there is a reason the 133lbers don't drop to 125 either and a reason some guys find more success at 133 is because they are not in the correct weight class for their body.

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Sorry I didn't reply with a more detailed response.

Santaniello isn't a very good example, as he is just coming up from 125 as well.  Add in that he was well overranked to begin with based on a victory over Bouzakis?  Not sure how or why he was ranked so highly based on one win against another RS-Frosh?  I mean.. he was already on a two match skid weren't he?

I get what you're trying to say or do here, but this match doesn't indicate anything.  As much as I say weight classes exist for a reason, there is a reason the 133lbers don't drop to 125 either and a reason some guys find more success at 133 is because they are not in the correct weight class for their body.

Yeah again in the hypothetical dual between 125 and 133 “gents” I was pretending they all “were in the correct weight class for their body.”  I just thought this match was interesting because it appeared to be 2 guys that were in the “correct weight class for their body” and a guy that was ranked in the 20’s at 125 beat a guy ranked in the teens at 133.  And I believe Brown was only ranked in the teens even before taking the losses at 125.  I mean in your defense there are a couple guys that dropped this year and are doing well (Palmer and Maida), but I think part of their success is they probably are “larger” than most of their opponents.

At first glance you’d think both Santaniello and Bouzakis are over-ranked,  but I think that kinda speaks to the lack of depth at 133.  This reminds me of the convo that came up around Crookham, when Kozak said Crookham probably would’ve been ranked 10 or 11 to start the season if he was the starter. At first it seems odd but when you look at the rest of the guys, it’s tough to argue who should be ranked higher.

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah again in the hypothetical dual between 125 and 133 “gents” I was pretending they all “were in the correct weight class for their body.”  I just thought this match was interesting because it appeared to be 2 guys that were in the “correct weight class for their body” and a guy that was ranked in the 20’s at 125 beat a guy ranked in the teens at 133.  And I believe Brown was only ranked in the teens even before taking the losses at 125.  I mean in your defense there are a couple guys that dropped this year and are doing well (Palmer and Maida), but I think part of their success is they probably are “larger” than most of their opponents.

At first glance you’d think both Santaniello and Bouzakis are over-ranked,  but I think that kinda speaks to the lack of depth at 133.  This reminds me of the convo that came up around Crookham, when Kozak said Crookham probably would’ve been ranked 10 or 11 to start the season if he was the starter. At first it seems odd but when you look at the rest of the guys, it’s tough to argue who should be ranked higher.

Well I might be thinking to agree with you when you go deeper.  That said, my initial take was Top 8 and I don't think I was far off though.

I think Brown at 125 is a yesteryear thing.  He has struggled and gassed in some matches he would have handily won last year.