Vision Quest: time for a remake or revisitation but with a FEMALE wrestler protagonist?

With the writer's strike underway, perhaps it's time some wrestlers stepped up and invited the movie & music studios to revisit Vision Quest, this time with a female in the lead (wrestling) role?   Plenty of wrestlers are capable of creating a quality script.   Those will be in comparatively scarce supply for the foreseeable future, right? 

• Fire 1

22 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

Maybe Shute can be transgendered.

Once I overcame my initial nausea regarding your idea, I realized that it has some merit.   Talk about a competitor's having to overcome major odds in taking on someone like that...  Texas had a real-life situation like that a few years ago.  I think it's illegal for more such situations to emerge in Texas, though.   

But part of the charm of Vision Question (the original)  was that most of the viewers envied Shute.   He was freakishly dedicated but not a freak.   It made it all the more understandable why Louden Swain wanted what Shute had... greatness.   I don't mean for my response to seem insulting to transgendered folks but rather to help explain pushback on the idea.   Our society doesn't rush to admire one's exploiting physiological advantages in violent ways against women.   

Personally I'd rather that the female Shute be the kind of woman that men swoon over, who does well in school, and is likely to get a scholarship but hasn't won one yet, thereby raising the stakes between both competitors.   That would make it easier for spectators to understand why a contender would want to be more like Lady Shute.   But thanks for your admittedly very interesting idea. 

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform
  • Fire 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:10 PM, DJT said:

Thanks for sharing that interesting article.   The company mentioned in it remains active:

https://www.templehillent.com/films/

• Fire 1

20 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Thanks for sharing that interesting article.   The company mentioned in it remains active:

https://www.templehillent.com/films/

Obviously, the Taylor Lautner playing a teenager time has long passed. It is weird, because it was getting quite a bit of press, then poof… nothing ever said again. It’s too bad, though. It would’ve been a huge hit for teenage girls (Twilight fans), and, in turn, the boys who are chasing after them. If done right, with respect to wrestling, it could’ve been a boost for the sport.

• Fire 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Temple Hill backburnered the Vision Quest reboot but it sounds like they're still tinkering with the idea, if not developing it at a snail's pace. There was a minor update about it last year, I think, and on the previous TheMat Forums someone shared a storyline one of the writers pitched to the studio in 2019: https://medium.com/@rodblackhurst/remaking-the-1985-film-vision-quest-well-trying-to-898b33d98ded

• Fire 1

• 2 months later...

There are much better things to write a movie about.  A simple reboot would be terribly predictable, and would do women’s wrestling an immense disservice.

I hope they come up with something original that respects and examines the unique position of women’s wrestling in the US rather than making a reboot which only continues to send the message “hey, we just kinda made the same thing for you.  We didn’t examine your perspective and build a unique and compelling story around that, that would be too much work and too risky.  Btw your character’s name is Loudina Swan.”

Vision Quest and women’s wrestling both deserve more than a money grab.