Final X was a Great Event

Couple thoughts on the coaches knowing the score and who's winning.

Yianni's matches were nuts and there was lots of back and forth going on and even some 2-2 situations that in the heat of the moment you don't know who is given the important last score. Sitting at home it is easy for me to know the situation as I'm not emotionally invested in knowing the score, yelling instructions, figuring out if we need to change the gameplan, etc. I'd give Grey a pass here mainly because there were some weird situations in the Yianni match where you aren't sure the order of the scores or who was given what points. 

More than anything UWW/USAW needs to do a better job of giving the coaches indicators of the number of specific types of scores. Even having a running count of scores under the wrestler's name would go a long way to helping figure out who is leading and what they need to score. I will throw Flo a compliment in that Pyles seems to be good at telling the audience what is needed for wrestlers to win a match when they are down late.

• Fire 2

its not that hard...

you have to remember who has the highest score and what color wrist band the ref raised last as confirmed by the paddles...

i seriously can not think of one match where i was "coaching" or watching that i could not remember...

now, i also know i am smarter than the average bear, but, it isn't rocket science...

and if a coach does have have issues then a good coach would make sure somebody who doesn't have issues is on it...

with all that being said, when reffing i rarely even attempt to keep track...

not my job then...

but entirely different dynamic...

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

This isn’t actually a criteria is it?

no... it is not...

In case of tie by points, the winner will be declared by successively considering:

- the highest value of holds;

- the least amount of cautions;

- the last technical point(s) scored

21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

This isn’t actually a criteria is it?

15 minutes ago, LJB said:

no... it is not...

In case of tie by points, the winner will be declared by successively considering:

It is how the first criteria typically plays out. In the example I was giving, let’s say there’s a 14-13 match, say no one has a 4 pt move, then the coach would have to try to remember who had the most 2 point moves to determine if the wrestler with 13 points needs 1 or 2 to take the lead. 

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

It is how the first criteria typically plays out. In the example I was giving, let’s say there’s a 14-13 match, say no one has a 4 pt move, then the coach would have to try to remember who had the most 2 point moves to determine if the wrestler with 13 points needs 1 or 2 to take the lead. 

absolutely not...

it is only the highest value of hold...

i posted the damn rule straight from UWW...

just read it...

22 minutes ago, LJB said:

absolutely not...

it is only the highest value of hold...

i posted the damn rule straight from UWW...

just read it...

I like how the UWW rule book has all the scoring situations that seem cut and dry, but not this scenario.

(I was wrong about the situation in my first post… edited to save face… still flabbergasted)

Edited by DJT

54 minutes ago, LJB said:

no... it is not...

Thank you.  I honestly didn’t know “the least amount of cautions” was a criteria…that in particular seems like something that could be forgotten over the course of a match

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Thank you.  I honestly didn’t know “the least amount of cautions” was a criteria…that in particular seems like something that could be forgotten over the course of a match

Given that three cautions disqualifies you, it seems like an important thing to have a pulse on, whether it’s you or your opponent who has two. Usually the scoreboards show the cautions, too.

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

cautions "should" be clearly listed on the scoreboard...

unless you are running the most important senior tourney in your country and decide to use scoreboards from 30+ years ago...

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

• Haha 1

Just now, Eagle26 said:

@LJB wouldn’t highest value of holds include all holds? It doesn’t say highest value of a single hold. In other words, if it’s 4-4, and blue scored 2 and 2 and red scored 2, 1, and 1 but scored last, blue wins, right?

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

cautions "should" be clearly listed on the scoreboard...

unless you are running the most important senior tourney in your country and decide to use scoreboards from 30+ years ago...

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

IMG_1842.thumb.jpeg.b4edc9a2d53f8300cf89366ede960298.jpeg

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

@LJB wouldn’t highest value of holds include all holds? It doesn’t say highest value of a single hold. In other words, if it’s 4-4, and blue scored 2 and 2 and red scored 2, 1, and 1 but scored last, blue wins, right?

The value of all holds combined… would be… the score.

I get what you’re saying, though, and it would make sense on the same level as breaking dual meet ties (# of pins, # of techs, etc).

Edited by DJT

1 minute ago, DJT said:

The value of all holds combined… would be… the score.

I get what you’re saying, though, and it would make sense on the same level as breaking dual meet ties.

to be perfectly honest...

it used to be that way as i recall...

it has been at least 5(ish) years since they switched up...

i think...

once i do not have to hold anything in my memory i let it go with out a moments consideration...

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

Tag Heuer Timer GIF by ikonicstopwatch

Book Write GIF

You know you’re a boss when you can do all 3 by yourself at a youth tournament while also throwing the towel at the ref and having your on deck and in the hole wrestlers lined up.

2 minutes ago, DJT said:

You know you’re a boss when you can do all 3 by yourself at a youth tournament while also throwing the towel at the ref and having your on deck and in the hole wrestlers lined up.

i am so glad i am past that part of my internship...

these punks today don't even have to wrestle by gas lamp anymore!!!!!

clint eastwood kids GIF

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

to be perfectly honest...

it used to be that way as i recall...

it has been at least 5(ish) years since they switched up...

i think...

once i do not have to hold anything in my memory i let it go with out a moments consideration...

Ditto. My memory used to be great… I blame iPhones for not having to remember anything anymore…
IMG_1841.gif.9d95e5badfbd99a4a5f98f5952f96fc4.gif

1 minute ago, DJT said:

Ditto. My memory used to be great… I blame iPhones for not having to remember anything anymore…
IMG_1841.gif.9d95e5badfbd99a4a5f98f5952f96fc4.gif

dude...

i used to drive across country and only pull out the atlas twice...

now i cant even find the closest grocery store without this damn phone... 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

i am so glad i am past that part of my internship...

these punks today don't even have to wrestle by gas lamp anymore!!!!!

clint eastwood kids GIF

When I was coaching, the AD said we were up to get a new wrestling mat. When I told him I wanted a 3 piece Resilite, he was like, “Aren’t those heavy and hard to move?” I just told him I’ve moved mats since I was 4 years old, and I have zero sympathy for the kids who will be moving this one. 

Just now, DJT said:

When I was coaching, the AD said we were up to get a new wrestling mat. When I told him I wanted a 3 piece Resilite, he was like, “Aren’t those heavy and hard to move?” I just told him I’ve moved mats since I was 4 years old, and I have zero sympathy for the kids who will be moving this one. 

dude...

it has been a couple of years since i had to move an old school resilite...

no thank you...

i am also glad i don't use a horse drawn carriage anymore...

21 minutes ago, DJT said:

The big three-piece mats for practice and then the lightweight section mats for meets - that way you never have to move the heavy ones and you don't tear up the nice meet ones 

• Fire 1

Wow! This is hard for me to believe… I was sure I’ve seen it play out the other way, but I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Anyone have any examples of this? I find it odd that UWW has six examples in their rule book but not a single one includes multiple scores worth more than one point. 

I actually hope I was wrong on this because it is much, much easier to keep track of if you only need to know if the wrestlers score one of each value. 

IMG_1809.jpeg