What do the Brands brothers bring?

buckshot

Seriously, what is good about them? I just realized that the last three national champs they had are Lee, Cory Clark and Tony Ramos. This year they had one finalist who was a transfer and while their highest recruit was a 4th place finisher. Other than Cassioppi they had two other guys since Clark even make the finals and one of them was also a transfer (Eierman). I get it that they're continuously a top 3 team but I credit that as much to the mystique of being Iowa more than I do them.

That being said, as a PSU fan I'd love it if they signed 10-year extensions in the next few days.

Iowa is still a perennial top 3 program, and the Brands brothers and the rest of the staff have to be given credit for that.

Who, other than Cael could come in and upgrade Iowa from where they are now?

The expectation in Iowa may be national championships and anything else is failure, but I don’t see anyone else competing with PSU either.

What’s the alternative to the Brands brothers?

Post seems kinda harsh. Terry's handling of Henry Cejudo is evidence enough for me of his coaching abilities. 

However, I think it is probably reasonable to ask whether both of them need to be there. Would probably benefit the team to have a broader range of perspectives and skillsets within the coaching staff. Also might want to reevaluate whether Morningstar and Telford are the right guys for the job. But TNT seem loyal to "their" guys.

Their biggest weakness is clearly the inability to identify and recruit elite talent. Outside of Lee, I don't think most of the guys in their lineup over the past 10 years would have been high-priority targets for PSU.  It is unclear to me whether any other coaching staff would have much more success with the guys they get. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Pipewrench said:

What's the backstory re Henry/Terry?  Thx.  OTC?

Cejudo's run through the 2008 Olympics would not have been possible without Terry's mentorship. Cejudo was a fantastic talent but he won with grit that was forged through his relationship with Brands. I remember watching video of some of the training sessions during the run-up to Beijing and it was clear Henry bought in. It wasn't as clear whether the others present did (beyond Mocco). 

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6255162-the-saga-of-terry-brands-and-henry-cejudo

It was also clear his athletes at UTC loved him. 

I think it would have been taxing to have them as teammates (look at Todd Tarpley's writings) and horrible to be their opponent but I doubt there are too many people who regret having them in their corner.