Updated Team Race Rankings Based on Individual Ranks - Minnesota Missing Persons Report Edition

Wrestleknownothing

Minnesota is off to a rough start. Even after accounting for the loss of Gable Steveson, they are lagging well behind pre-season expectations.

They came into the season ranked 7th by Intermat (using expected points, not max points), 9th by Flo, and 12th by Wrestlestat. They are now ranked 19th by all three services.

Meanwhile, the corn is sweet in the land of Lincoln, with 2 of three services now projecting a podium finish.

image.thumb.png.2fdea320b32572635ed16b42bf25dbb0.png

Nebraska scored 48 points at the last NCAA tournament and were projected to score between 33 (Wrestlestat) and 45 (Intermat) advancement and placement points this season. Their new projections are all around 23 points.

image.thumb.png.7991a5177d67bbcd8a6f628c404608a1.png

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Minnesota has certainly unperformed, but I think part of the drop was them being ranked too highly in the first place. Brayton Lee being ranked as high as 1st while coming off a near-total reconstruction of his elbow, and Bergeland being ranked as high as 3rd after riding an incredible run at NCAA’s last year really inflated their team ranking.

Ultimately, I don’t think they’ll finish as low as 19th, but if they outperform that it’ll be because some of their lesser known guys (Aaron Nagao, Isaiah Salazar in particular) make a bigger impact than expected in March.

Also need Pat McKee to do Pat McKee things in a tournament setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Wrestlestat loves the Buckeyes.

Yeah, but its puppy love. That said, it feels like Wrestlestat has been the most accurate so far. I haven't done the math yet (stay tuned), but it seems like they have had the least volatility to their rankings. They have had the fewest of their pre-season #1s take an L.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah, but its puppy love. That said, it feels like Wrestlestat has been the most accurate so far. I haven't done the math yet (stay tuned), but it seems like they have had the least volatility to their rankings. They have had the fewest of their pre-season #1s take an L.

It seems like wrestlestat has kept the Bucks higher than the other two so far. 

Just want to say I think it’s great for the sport that we have more than one ranking service that is widely recognized, especially so that they have different methods of deciding on their rankings. It allows people to make their own interpretations while also having multiple reference points.

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Just want to say I think it’s great for the sport that we have more than one ranking service that is widely recognized, especially so that they have different methods of deciding on their rankings. It allows people to make their own interpretations while also having multiple reference points.

Agree 100%

Now if we could only get WIN Magazine to rank beyond top 20 we would be in business.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing