Zain's bow and arrow

Zain delivered some pain in Turkey with his bow and arrow. I bet none of the international guys have seen or FELT Zain's bow and arrow. He's showing how folkstyle can influence freestyle.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, KennyEBHS said:

Zain delivered some pain in Turkey with his bow and arrow. I bet none of the international guys have seen or FELT Zain's bow and arrow. He's showing how folkstyle can influence freestyle.

Yep, I was think same. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, KennyEBHS said:

fyi he didn't hit a single bow and arrow in the whole tournment.

Edited by Hammerlock3
  • Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, Threadkilla said:

In the last match, Zain almost had a turk, he had the leg a couple times but the ref stopped him,  Zain cranked the head and took him over anyway.  

Yeah that was great.

Except that a bent leg TURK came from freestyle.
Yeah, I learned it as a freestyle move. You can actually roll it through for multiple exposures the way you would a gut or lace. You don't see it that much internationally, though.

5 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
29 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:
Except that a bent leg TURK came from freestyle.

Yeah, I learned it as a freestyle move. You can actually roll it through for multiple exposures the way you would a gut or lace. You don't see it that much internationally, though.

Thank you.  It appears more people need to watch more freestyle.

Dave Schultz popularized the technique in the US.

Thank you.  It appears more people need to watch more freestyle.
Dave Schultz popularized the technique in the US.
To be fair, the first time it was used against me was in folkstyle (although by a Cadet freestyle national champ). I was not aware that my foot could get that close to my head.....

2 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

I have never seen that move in any freestyle match I've watched.

dave schultz did it every other match for about 15 years.

• Bob 2

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

dave schultz did it every other match for about 15 years.

Yep.  Someone who hasn't seen it in freestyle hasn't watched a lot of Dave.

Wasn't there a match where he had someone screaming from it?  Makybe Koll?  I couldn't find it on YouTube.  

The late great Morris Johnson had a great story on TheMat.com about Dave putting the hold on him and seeing his own foot so close to his head.  Claimed that in the moment he thought it was Schultz foot and said to himself "wow... Dave has the same shoes as me."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yep.  Someone who hasn't seen it in freestyle hasn't watched a lot of Dave.

Wasn't there a match where he had someone screaming from it?  Makybe Koll?  I couldn't find it on YouTube.  

The late great Morris Johnson had a great story on TheMat.com about Dave putting the hold on him and seeing his own foot so close to his head.  Claimed that in the moment he thought it was Schultz foot and said to himself "wow... Dave has the same shoes as me."

it could be hard to tell, because sometime schultz would "yell to sell" himself...this is a lace obviously (not that it matters in this topic), but screams at the 630 mark and its hard to tell who is yelling.

2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

go to 4:30 mark watch the finish for the fall, makes anything zain's done look romantic by comparison.

Nice to see that folkstyle move making in an impression in Freestyle! Thank goodness for the PSU influence! I wonder who showed Dave how to do that?  Do you think it was Zain? Or maybe Max Dean?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Nice to see that folkstyle move making in an impression in Freestyle! Thank goodness for the PSU influence! I wonder who showed Dave how to do that?  Do you think it was Zain? Or maybe Max Dean?

thats one of my favorite zain quotes, he was asked if the move should be named after him, probably by the sequencing guy, and he respond "um...no, that moves been around for awhile." He's obviously not about shallow narratives.

• Bob 1
  • Stalling 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I love this as a "bow and arrow." I mean he has an ankle and is applying forward pressure.  That's about where the similarities end.

Dave Schultz called it a "bent leg turk" btw (what is commonly called a bow and arrow)

Zain was attempting the Bent Leg Turk a couple times and the ref waived him off.  So he hooked the guy's leg with his leg and cranked his skull.  

Edited by Threadkilla

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

thats one of my favorite zain quotes, he was asked if the move should be named after him, probably by the sequencing guy, and he respond "um...no, that moves been around for awhile." He's obviously not about shallow narratives.

Yes, I would challenge anyone who thinks that is a folkstyle move to find a video of someone hitting it in a folkstyle match that pre-dates Dave Schultz.  Good luck!

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

23 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I missed the part where somebody said that Penn State invented the Turk.  Schultz has been mentioned, but John Smith did the bent leg Turk and standing Turk and he was Schultz contemporary.  I don't believe either of them invented the move.   I've seen it attempted quite often in freestyle, but oftentimes it's flagged as potentially dangerous by the ref.