What's stopping ND from bringing back wrestling?

25 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Maybe if they had "Takedown Jesus" instead of "Touchdown Jesus" they'd be taken more seriously as a wrestling school. 

... and A. Brooks as head coach.  🙂

• Bob 1
  • Ionel 1

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Bigger question is why would they?  ND is a private correct so no instate tuition rate or advantage for Indiana kids.  Also NIL is the new deal, if you want an out of state kid just chip in more NIL$ to cover the difference.  ND has a great alumni base but why would they encourage any to contribute toward a wrestling collective versus football.  There is no fan base support.  Its stuck right in the middle of the b10 so no recruiting advantage.  Plus its a small school, who wants to go there, kind've feels like a juco except for that football thing.  There are so many better places to start a new program.  

I think they'd have to get wrestling to be in the B1G to succeed like their hockey. Not very likely unless the B1G gets them for all sports. Honestly not just for wrestling but many sports like to see Maryland go back to the ACC in exchange for ND in the B1G.

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Isn't he a Mormon? I don't think the Catholics and Mormons get along all that well!

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 8:01 PM, NM1965 said:

What great things has Escobedo done for IU wrestling? I'm just curious. 

He beat Purdon't once didn't he? Or some Indiana D3 program maybe. 

Edited by TexRef

On 5/11/2024 at 7:37 PM, CoachDoss11 said:

I'd argue more for a school like say, Syracuse or Clemson to re-establish a program.  

Syracuse is one that has always been a head scratcher why they dropped to begin with and why it hasn’t returned. Would be nice to have another power 5 school in NY (Cornell is essentially a P5 school at this point). 

On 5/11/2024 at 9:26 PM, ionel said:

If they could pull that off with the right guy leading the fundraising to bring back the program, they’d be a top 10 team within 5 years. No shot he walks away young like Cael though, right?

On 5/11/2024 at 11:14 PM, GopherINOHLand said:

I think they'd have to get wrestling to be in the B1G to succeed like their hockey. Not very likely unless the B1G gets them for all sports. Honestly not just for wrestling but many sports like to see Maryland go back to the ACC in exchange for ND in the B1G.

Unfortunately they will likely never join the B10 for football after seeing how Penn State faired competing with a conference schedule…

On 5/11/2024 at 9:01 PM, NM1965 said:

What great things has Escobedo done for IU wrestling? I'm just curious. 

Previous administration left a really disengaged culture. Esco has an uphill battle for sure to get investment from the athletic department and chase the B10 giants. The Hoosiers have gotten some decent recruits and stretched some good dual seasons together. Obviously this isn't proportional to the level of talent in the state at the high school level relative to the national conversation, but I think he's on the way there. Athletes certainly respect him. I'd say if they had the opportunity to get a bigger name it would help, but his staff has shown they have the ability to develop talent that can compete. Just not with the PSUs.

• Bob 1