The insight and wisdom of Pyles on display…

13 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

If he’s not completely crazy, there had to have been. Anybody that would take that gamble with a huge move for their family and a D1 coaching position on the line, without some sort of guarantee, would be nuts.

My guess is that OSU had every intention of making Coleman the next HC and made some sort of guarantee. Then, DT didn’t make the Olympic team, so they thought “Hey, we’ll throw the barn at DT and pay off CS to make it all go away and move forward with the only person who can compete with Cael.”

Shady af, but I guess business is business. My opinion, anyway…

I just can't see them doing him that dirty. Coleman knew he was putting himself in the driver seat to be HC at one of the best programs in the country after 12 years at UNC. I don't think they guaranteed him anything other than a fair shot at the job. I also can't see them hiring anybody without John Smith's blessing. But, I could obviously be wrong and perhaps OkSt will screw one of their own over for a chance at another championship. Would need some input from the OkSt guys. 

I was following the logic.  Made sense.  I would have put money down on Coleman.  

But I’m reminded again and again that there are many variables hidden from many.  So much that goes on in life.  Personal life, career.  Who knows if there was a snag that was hit, or something that really drove Coleman to need change.  We shall see if more comes out over time. 

8 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I just can't see them doing him that dirty. Coleman knew he was putting himself in the driver seat to be HC at one of the best programs in the country after 12 years at UNC. I don't think they guaranteed him anything other than a fair shot at the job. I also can't see them hiring anybody without John Smith's blessing. But, I could obviously be wrong and perhaps OkSt will screw one of their own over for a chance at another championship. Would need some input from the OkSt guys. 

Good point. And maybe the indication was “come back as AHC and show us you should get the job”. He likely thought the same as I did…”If I’m there and show I can improve the team, they have to hire me, right?”. Still a big gamble. But the DarkEnergy’s point, there may have been other factors for him leaving UNC (ie. Personal reasons).

2 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Good point. And maybe the indication was “come back as AHC and show us you should get the job”. He likely thought the same as I did…”If I’m there and show I can improve the team, they have to hire me, right?”. Still a big gamble. But the DarkEnergy’s point, there may have been other factors for him leaving UNC (ie. Personal reasons).

I heard there is more to the story than OSU being jerks...

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

43 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i would like to point out that i'm choosing not to comment on the portion of Pyles latest video that I was able to make myself watch.

I would prefer to read your comment.

Please.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 5/4/2024 at 6:53 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

sense I think I've distilled the thought I'll just put it here.

Pyles annoys me because for someone in his position he should be at least one of three things and probably two:

1) A person of encyclopedic knowledge of high school, college or senior level wrestling. He doesn't have any of that. He has a good general knowledge base, but compared to say Willie's knowledge of highschool wrestling, or Jason Bryant's general knowledge he's far behind.

2) Someone with interesting and occasionally valuable insights into the sport itself. His commentary is incredibly banal, he's not very articulate, and he relies on existing narratives when he should be focusing on the narratives that arise within the flow of individual matches. The last one is why I like DC and JB, they're pointing out aspects of tactics and gamesmanship.

3) Someone with inside knowledge. This one gets very annoying because he is constantly referring to athletes by their first names as if they're cronies, yet news never seems to break on Flo first. It gives the vibe that if he knew something interesting he wouldn't ever report it. 

I wish I could couch it in a way that's not essentially an attack on someone for doing their job, but we're a niche group of people who love the sport, and this is the place to voice such concerns.

i'll just repost this, basically my pyles magnum opus.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."