All-Time Leading Scorers 1928 - 2024

Using the current method of scoring these are the Top  30 and ties:

image.thumb.png.c84142751de10e4b41c77d471644f829.png

New to the top 30 this year:

• Aaron Brooks #10 and tied with Ed Ruth (was #125 prior to this year)
  • Daton Fix #17 by virtue of five tournaments, as you can see he is 125th on a per tournament basis.
  • Carter Starocci #27 (was #128 prior to this year)

Also moving up:

• Vito Arujau was #230, is #51 (tied with Andre Metzger, Rick Bonomo, Mark Branch, and Troy Nickerson)
  • Keegan O'Toole was #190, is #35 (tied with Jordan Oliver)

New to the rankings this year:

• Trent Hidlay #157 with 65 points (Jared Lawrence, Tolly Thompson, Eric Voelker, Chrsi Campbell, Gary Breece, and Rex Peery)
  • Greg Kerkvliet #121 with 69 points (tied with Doug Schwab)
  • Parker Keckeisen #90 with 92 points (tied with Ross Flood, Carlton Haselrig, Mark Lieberman, Chris Pendleton, Travis Lee, and Michael Lightner)

I know I will have my detractors here, but I also like to look at their scores in years 2 through 4. You will notice in the table above that when you sort by total you have to go all the way to #30 to find the only three year era wrestler, a little known kid named Dan Gable. In the table below, I also knocked out Gables' pigtail matches for this.

Years 2 - 4

image.png.9af5d082c2edf719707619651da733b9.png

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, ionel said:

McCready pinned all but 3 guys in college may have pinned all he wrestled at NCAA but doesn't make list?  Or did I miss him?  

Pinfelled? Yes, Earl McCready was known to do that a time or two.

Alas, he suffers from the lack of matches. Having wrestled only 8 matches in 3 tournaments, he has by far the fewest number of matches among the top scorers. In 1928 he only had to wrestle twice to be crowned champion of a four man bracket.

But on a per match basis Earl is the top of the heap. To highlight the difference in eras, notice that the top 14 on a per match basis all started their career prior to 1956.

image.png.bc639cf9210993124b95c728d6c210ce.png

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Pinfelled? Yes, Earl McCready was known to do that a time or two.

Alas, he suffers from the lack of matches. Having wrestled only 8 matches in 3 tournaments, he has by far the fewest number of matches among the top scorers. In 1928 he only had to wrestle twice to be crowned champion of a four man bracket.

But on a per match basis Earl is the top of the heap. To highlight the difference in eras, notice that the top 14 on a per match basis all started their career prior to 1956.

image.png.bc639cf9210993124b95c728d6c210ce.png

But if you normalized it to current tournament score etc, he would have matches.  Highest pin rate in NCAA history and yes his Ralph-fall rate was unbelievable.  

Edited by ionel

14 minutes ago, ionel said:

But if you normalized it to current tournament score etc, he would have matches.  Highest pin rate in NCAA history and yes his Ralph-fall rate was unbelievable.  

I did no extrapolation, just rescoring.

Who knows what a man of such limited stamina would have produced with double the matches?

But that is what the per match score is for.