Is Penn State wrestling currently the most dominant men's sports franchise, period?

At least in the US...I'm not familiar with international sports.  Penn State wrestling's current run (11 out of the last 13 contested championships) is better than the Tom Brady Patriots, the Golden State Warriors, the late 90s-2000 Yankees, etc.

Two things are certain right now in wrestling, Penn State has had a great run and you will never pay your debts.  You should be as committed to paying your debts as you are to creating a new post every 3 seconds on this board.

• Fire 1

One comparison worth considering:

Coach John Wooden led the UCLA Bruins to 10 national titles in 12 seasons, from 1964 to 1975, including seven straight from 1967 to 1973. UCLA went undefeated a record four times (1964, 1967, 1972, and 1973).

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Penn State just got squashed:

Trinity College (CT) Squash (1999-2017)

Trinity College located in Hartford CT has dominated the competition in squash over the past decades. From 1999 to 2017, Trinity college won 17 straight national titles and finished with a record of 364-1 in that time. 17 national titles in a row is the longest winning streak in any college and in any sport in NCAA history (252 consecutive wins). The Bantams, led by head coach Paul Assainte since 1994, has produced almost 200 All-Americans and is considered one of the most dominate college dynasties in all of NCAA athletics.

• Fire 2

LSU Track & Field (25 titles)

LSU is the most successful team in the history of NCAA Division I women’s track and field, with 25 total titles — 14 at the outdoor championships and 11 at the indoor championships. The Tigers ran off 11 straight outdoor titles from 1987-97 and five straight indoor titles from 1993-97. Their most recent championship came in 2008 at the outdoor championships.

UNC Soccer (21 titles)

UNC women’s soccer might be the most successful women’s team in NCAA history, across all sports, with a capital P period. Just six other programs have multiple titles in women’s soccer, with none of them even reaching double digits. The Tar Heels, meanwhile, have 21 of them – all of which have come under head coach Anson Dorrance, which makes him the third-most national title-winning coach in NCAA history.

UNC won the first three national titles in NCAA women’s soccer history starting in 1982, before George Mason upset the Tar Heels in 1985. But in 1986, UNC was back on top, reeling off nine consecutive national titles thanks to the likes of Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly.

Starting with the 1980s, there hasn’t been a decade in which North Carolina hasn’t won a national title, although the program’s last one came back in 2012. Since then, Florida State has turned itself into a perennial contender with three national championships, while UCLA has won two.

Maryland Lacrosse (14 titles)

In the sport of women’s lacrosse, two teams have established themselves as dynasties: Maryland and Northwestern. Maryland has won 14 NCAA titles, the most in the history of the sport, with their most recent coming in 2019. From 1995 to 2001, the team rattled off seven straight titles, then won four titles in a six-year span from 2014 to 2019. All but one of those titles came under former coach Cindy Timchal and current coach Cathy Reese.

because of the scaling of college football to NCAA wrestling I think you could argue Bama's 6 national titles in 11 years and then uconns woman's basketball. I think it may be the greatest run ever in modern day sports though which pains me to say.

If one expands the question to include (a) international sports and (b) women, then I wonder if Japan's women's wrestling team might be up there in the conversation.   I couldn't quickly find information on their current dominance, but someone else might be able to locate some data.

This is actually a good question and I don’t follow any other sports so I have no idea lol. Good info from @SocraTease, but I’m curious too if there are any current dynasties going on right now that can rival what Penn State has done?