Three Time Champs

With PSU less than two months away from losing two three time champs, I thought we could take a look at what the landscape currently looks like for guys who can make a three legged stool with their trophies.

I think everyone is generally familiar with this:

image.thumb.png.dd4b4e3ed1133464904ebef25deeb08e.png

A while back I dabbled with the idea of eras in college wrestling. After spending a little time with the historical rules I came up with something that divided our history into four eras based on a combination of how many weights, All-Americans per weight, and the importance of individual first place in team scoring. That looks like this:

image.thumb.png.c4f5ffdd12809454f051e35e72a16619.png

Combining the two we get a breakdown of three time champs per era (I maintained the sort order based on all eras combined):

image.thumb.png.568753fa14f9481fdac8507e897643c9.png

Fourth Era (1979 - present, 10 weights, 8 AA's, first place < 30% of placement):

• It is Iowa's world, we all just live in it...
  • For now (cough, PSU, cough).
  • But PSU will fall farther back this year as two three timers become two four timers.
  • OK State matters.
  • Screw you Fresno State. Three three-timers in the modern era and you drop wrestling? For shame.
  • Current three timers who WILL become four timers: Carter "StarRocky" Starocci, Aaron "Amen" Brooks
  • Current two timers who WILL become three timers: Keegan "O'Funky" O'Toole

• Fire 6

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, grogs84 said:

I'm assuming the number is the total championships, not count of individual 3x'ers?

Yeah, I screwed that up. It is total championships, not unique three timers due to the way I had the data structured. Divide everything by three. Mea culpa.

• Fire 1

Man....

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

With PSU less than two months away from losing two three time champs, I thought we could take a look at what the landscape currently looks like for guys who can make a three legged stool with their trophies.

I think everyone is generally familiar with this:

image.thumb.png.dd4b4e3ed1133464904ebef25deeb08e.png

A while back I dabbled with the idea of eras in college wrestling. After spending a little time with the historical rules I came up with something that divided our history into four eras based on a combination of how many weights, All-Americans per weight, and the importance of individual first place in team scoring. That looks like this:

image.thumb.png.c4f5ffdd12809454f051e35e72a16619.png

Combining the two we get a breakdown of three time champs per era (I maintained the sort order based on all eras combined):

image.thumb.png.568753fa14f9481fdac8507e897643c9.png

Fourth Era (1979 - present, 10 weights, 8 AA's, first place < 30% of placement):

• It is Iowa's world, we all just live in it...
  • For now (cough, PSU, cough).
  • But PSU will fall farther back this year as two three timers become two four timers.
  • OK State matters.
  • Screw you Fresno State. Three three-timers in the modern era and you drop wrestling? For shame.
  • Current three timers who WILL become four timers: Carter "StarRocky" Starocci, Aaron "Amen" Brooks
  • Current two timers who WILL become three timers: Keegan "O'Funky" O'Toole

Man, I'd like to know the names of all the 3 timers that just Univ. of Michigan and MIchigan State have.....the chart claims they have 3 each, and I only can think of one for each....Mark Churella (UM) and Greg Johnson (MSU)....hope I'm wrong.  Fadz  P.S. And if I'm right, how many others are wrong?

Edited by Fadzaev2

31 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Man....

Man, I'd like to know the names of all the 3 timers that just Univ. of Michigan and MIchigan State have.....the chart claims they have 3 each, and I only can think of one for each....Mark Churella (UM) and Greg Johnson (MSU)....hope I'm wrong.  Fadz  P.S. And if I'm right, how many others are wrong?

Look up three posts for my admission of error.

• Fire 1