Asian Games

In Japan, you have to subscribe for the live stream.  They were only broadcasting 53kg this morning with  Kaori Icho as one of the commentators.  She's one of Fujinami's coaches in college.

I will say this, though.  I knew they'd be back strong, but the North Korean womens team was really a tough out for everybody.  Now, whether on not they're still using PEDs is another thing.

50kg- Yoshimoto hung on to win, 5-4 in the finals against Kim(North Korea).

53kg- Choe(North Korea) was controlling the entire match against Pang(China) and lost towards the end.  Pang ended up getting teched by Fujinami.  Fujinami also pinned Antim(beat Dom Parrish the other week) and teched Bat Ochir.

57kg- Sakurai held on to win against Jong(North Korea), 7-6 in the finals.

62kg will be really interesting to see Ozaki vs Tynybekova.  They'll most likely meet in the quarters.  North Korea is on the opposite side.

• Fire 5

Ozaki beat Tynybekova, 3-1 and then in the finals a few minutes ago, MUN(North Korea) just beat Ozaki in the finals, 6-6 on criteria.

Not really paying attention to 68 and 76, but North Korea didn't bring anybody at those weights.

It's going to be very interesting to see if NK has any other athletes in the qualifying tournaments for the Olympics because they had 3 finalists(should have been 4) for WFS.   A lot of these performances could be post World Championships fatigue for a lot of these wrestlers and NK came in fresh.  If they have good results in the Olympic qualifiers, they might be favored to medal at the Olympics and for sure at future World Championships.....granted they don't get popped for some kind of PEDs.

• Fire 2

19 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

In Japan, you have to subscribe for the live stream.  They were only broadcasting 53kg this morning with  Kaori Icho as one of the commentators.  She's one of Fujinami's coaches in college.

I will say this, though.  I knew they'd be back strong, but the North Korean womens team was really a tough out for everybody.  Now, whether on not they're still using PEDs is another thing.

50kg- Yoshimoto hung on to win, 5-4 in the finals against Kim(North Korea).

53kg- Choe(North Korea) was controlling the entire match against Pang(China) and lost towards the end.  Pang ended up getting teched by Fujinami.  Fujinami also pinned Antim(beat Dom Parrish the other week) and teched Bat Ochir.

57kg- Sakurai held on to win against Jong(North Korea), 7-6 in the finals.

62kg will be really interesting to see Ozaki vs Tynybekova.  They'll most likely meet in the quarters.  North Korea is on the opposite side.

Very interesting.  How would these women be tested on a regular basis?  I can't imagine WADA employees are welcomed into the Hermit Kingdom with open arms.

47 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Very interesting.  How would these women be tested on a regular basis?  I can't imagine WADA employees are welcomed into the Hermit Kingdom with open arms.

If they want the privilege of competing in those events, they have no choice.

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'm not really sure how that would happen.  Maybe offer cheeseburgers to security?  Knowing that little tub of lard "leader", he'd probably confiscate them all and eat them himself in one sitting.  Then blow up all of the security with a missile while broadcasting it on tv as he's done before.

If they do ever get popped again, it'll probably be years after like we've seen with other athletes.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I'm not really sure how that would happen.  Maybe offer cheeseburgers to security?  Knowing that little tub of lard "leader", he'd probably confiscate them all and eat them himself in one sitting.  Then blow up all of the security with a missile while broadcasting it on tv as he's done before.

If they do ever get popped again, it'll probably be years after like we've seen with other athletes.

He likes cheese.

4 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Does NK has a history of getting caught using PEDs. I don't doubt that they would but I was aware of any history of them being caught or even accused of having  a state sponsored program. 

6 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Does NK has a history of getting caught using PEDs. I don't doubt that they would but I was aware of any history of them being caught or even accused of having  a state sponsored program. 

I am going off what the previous poster stated. CA_Wrestler always has fantastic info.

It seems to me as if NK doesn't participate in enough events to be caught all that much.

• Fire 1

There are a lot of instances over the years of North Korean athletes using PEDs.  Just do a google search and you can find plenty of examples.  I'm not saying they were on something, but all of their WFS athletes looked like they've been lifting in a prison yard for years(which is totally possible in NK).

• Fire 1

This is Sakurai's opponent in the finals from NK.  Jong was up BIG on Sakurai-6-0, then Sakurai came back and won in at the end with scoring and held on with a few seconds left.  

Prison strength?  She definitely had a strength advantage.  Was very noticeable in the beginning of the match.

spacer.png

Edited by CA_Wrestler

On 10/6/2023 at 3:18 PM, CA_Wrestler said:

This is Sakurai's opponent in the finals from NK.  Jong was up BIG on Sakurai-6-0, then Sakurai came back and won in at the end with scoring and held on with a few seconds left.  

Prison strength?  She definitely had a strength advantage.  Was very noticeable in the beginning of the match.

spacer.png

Not that we should convict solely on the basis of appearance, but MY GAWD she has some guns!

5 hours ago, Jim L said:

Not that we should convict solely on the basis of appearance, but MY GAWD she has some guns!

She does have some guns, for sure.

I'm not going only on appearance alone.  

This was from 2019:

The World Anti-Doping Agency says it ruled North Korea’s testing program non-compliant for failing to meet international standards.

The judgment casts doubt on how North Korea’s athletes are tested as the International Olympic Committee explores options to field combined Korean teams at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

WADA says its concerns will be raised when the IOC meets Friday with sports and government officials from North and South Korea.

Without specifying details, WADA says North Korea’s Anti-Doping Committee lost its accreditation for “non-conformities related to the implementation of its testing program.”

WADA says North Korea did not dispute the ruling after missing a four-month deadline to improve the program.

Doping control tests will now be supervised by China’s anti-doping agency at North Korea’s expense.  

So, China, who has had state sponsored doping much like Russia was supervising North Korea's doping control?  LOL

This was from 2 days ago:

The World Anti-Doping Agency declared North Korea's national anti-doping body "non-compliant" in 2021 because it was unable to get its testers into the country and imposed sanctions.

But border restrictions appear to be easing slightly and OCA acting director general Vinod Kumar Tiwari told reporters in Hangzhou: "North Korea has written a letter to them very recently telling them that the borders have opened and they can send their doping control officers for the testing.

"WADA has agreed and they will probably be sending their people to North Korea."

The Montreal-based WADA confirmed the reopening, but told AFP that "the broader political status of the country means verification and quality control activities are not straightforward".

One of the sanctions on North Korea is not being able to fly its flag at any regional, continental or world sports event, excluding the Olympics and Paralympics.

Despite this it has been routinely hoisted at the Games in Hangzhou, with WADA warning the OCA of "consequences" for allowing it to happen in breach of its obligations as a signatory to its anti-doping code.

"We have been in touch with WADA on a daily basis and we are trying to resolve the issue," said Tiwari.

"It's a very sensitive issue, it's not very easy to handle. Hopefully things will be resolved in a way that is mutually acceptable to both parties."

There are a range of punishments WADA could impose on the Kuwait-based OCA.

They include having International Olympic Committee (IOC) funding withdrawn, OCA events losing their status as qualifying events for the Olympic or Paralympic Games and the imposition of fines.

North Korea's participation at the Asian Games marks its return to the global sporting arena for the first time since slamming its borders shut during the pandemic.

It has produced some eye-opening results, notably in weightlifting, where its competitors smashed multiple world records.

• Fire 1