NC v NCS

BerniePragle

Even though Orine won in majorD fashion, he had to work for it.

A lot of GREAT action between those two wrestlers... Orine was just a step ahead.

Palmer will cause some problems for others in the future.

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I’m going to hijack this thread for just a second. I used to post more and have time to talk about UNC wrestling as that’s “my team.”

I’m really disappointed with where the program is right now from a team standpoint. A few years back UNC started to break through and finished tied for first in the ACC with NC State. That year was highlighted by a thrilling win over Virginia Tech that was unexpected. I thought that was the year the proverbial corner was being turned and UNC would enter that top ACC tier with NC State and VT, but boy was I wrong. It’s been a slow spiral downhill ever since. The team isn’t even competitive with VT and NCSU anymore (which sucks because NC State is the rival school). They also got throttled by Pitt this year, which doesn’t usually happen. 

The one saving grace for UNC has been the individual accolades in the NCAA tournament. 2 years in a row of an NCAA finalist with O’Conner 2 years ago and then Clarke last year. This year very well could be 3 years in a row with O’Connor looking great, but after this year it could be even bigger trouble. The only guys that look like they will be nationally competitive moving forward are Lachlan McNeil and Gavin Kane. 

I really like Coleman Scott and what he’s done with the program. But from a team standpoint it’s a tough look to not be competitive in the ACC. That certainly seems like an achievable goal. In my opinion, Virginia is going through  something similar. They should be a better team than they are right now. 

Oh well, onwards and upwards to the ACC tournament and then the NCAA tournament. 

• Fire 2

11 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I’m going to hijack this thread for just a second. I used to post more and have time to talk about UNC wrestling as that’s “my team.”

I’m really disappointed with where the program is right now from a team standpoint. A few years back UNC started to break through and finished tied for first in the ACC with NC State. That year was highlighted by a thrilling win over Virginia Tech that was unexpected. I thought that was the year the proverbial corner was being turned and UNC would enter that top ACC tier with NC State and VT, but boy was I wrong. It’s been a slow spiral downhill ever since. The team isn’t even competitive with VT and NCSU anymore (which sucks because NC State is the rival school). They also got throttled by Pitt this year, which doesn’t usually happen. 

The one saving grace for UNC has been the individual accolades in the NCAA tournament. 2 years in a row of an NCAA finalist with O’Conner 2 years ago and then Clarke last year. This year very well could be 3 years in a row with O’Connor looking great, but after this year it could be even bigger trouble. The only guys that look like they will be nationally competitive moving forward are Lachlan McNeil and Gavin Kane. 

I really like Coleman Scott and what he’s done with the program. But from a team standpoint it’s a tough look to not be competitive in the ACC. That certainly seems like an achievable goal. In my opinion, Virginia is going through  something similar. They should be a better team than they are right now. 

Oh well, onwards and upwards to the ACC tournament and then the NCAA tournament. 

I'm not a UNC fan, but I agree 100% with what you said.  In fact, I've almost started a thread a couple times to say pretty much exactly what you just did.  The only reason I didn't is too many times that type of thing gets blown way out of proportion.  It's certainly a mystery to me.  Maybe it's a matter of someone high up at UNC didn't want competition for the BB team??  (Not that that would be a problem this year, lol.)

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, BerniePragle said:

I'm not a UNC fan, but I agree 100% with what you said.  In fact, I've almost started a thread a couple times to say pretty much exactly what you just did.  The only reason I didn't is too many times that type of thing gets blown way out of proportion.  It's certainly a mystery to me.  Maybe it's a matter of someone high up at UNC didn't want competition for the BB team??  (Not that that would be a problem this year, lol.)

As a fan (and alumni) that deeply cares about the wrestling program, it’s been brutal the last few years. The individual success is incredible. Rooting for O’Connor through 3 (and soon to be 4) NCAA tournaments is a highlight of UNC wrestling. But it’s almost cancelled out at this point when I watch the team get beat by 20+ points every year by NCSU and VT. There are a handful of weight classes that wouldn’t be able to find a win against the D2 school down the road from my house. It seems to be a problem with recruiting and then development at certain weights. In my opinion some type of consistency and competitiveness needs to be found in the next couple years or it’s time to revaluate the coaching staff. 

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Kinda makes me wonder if a certain alumnus who previously coached in Upstate NY and is currently coaching on the west coast had instead coached at UNC starting many years ago.  Oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

• Stalling 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:26 PM, goheels1812 said:

I don’t think they seem that bad, but maybe IMO moreso that NC State and VT,  and Pitt with a big help from the transfer portal are really good.

What’s the situation with Sherman and Guida?  Who’s the starter?

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think they seem that bad, but maybe IMO moreso that NC State and VT,  and Pitt with a big help from the transfer portal are really good.

What’s the situation with Sherman and Guida?  Who’s the starter?

Sherman has been hurt all year, his shoulder is basically nonexistent. I think he will suit up for the ACCT, but I don’t expect the results to be pretty. Guida and Bryant have been decent backups as they’ve switched off matches. I just don’t see any potential for them to ever be good at the national level. My overarching problem with the current staff is we’ve had the same problems with the same weights for years now. 125, 133, 165, 197, and 285 have all been a revolving door of below average wrestling (197 and 285 have especially been reallyyyyyy bad for a long time). Brandon Whitman never developing at all after being a 4 timer in Michigan has been bizarre. 

It’s basically just annoying as a fan of UNC to see NCSU and VT reload year after year across all their weights and unc still has the same lineup problems. Next year in the post O’Connor era has the potentially to get ugly in my opinion. 

• Fire 1

IMO the recruits are not quite panning out, maybe they’re enjoying what Chapel Hill has to offer more than what the staff & wrestling room have to offer. Maybe not the toughest team on the block but having a horse in the race during the finals for what should be 3 straight yr is legit and something to build on.

• Fire 1