if rby wins #3 is he the best 133 ever?

Wrestlingfan2254

11 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

JO did win

No...he didn't. It obviously should be, but that was a very clear point of emphasis that year, one repeatedly articulated to the coaches and athletes. You have work up/ get your head out. They showed that EXACT scenario in the coaches meetings and that was not a TD...that year(not, very clearly a TD). 

Again, looking at it now, that's obviously a TD, but Stieber knew what the rules were...and so did Smith. If Smith didn't know that wasn't a TD, you don't think he'd be going nuts on the refs?

That...was very much NOT a TD that year. Oliver sat there for...what, 8-9 seconds with the ref saying nothing(maybe he didn't hear) and Stieber just holding on for dear life. Oliver needed to work up above the knees or get his head out and he did neither. 

14 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Not trolling at all. Fresh/Soph Kolat vs RBY Fresh/Soph are not close to being on the same level.  But unfortunately for PSU Lock Haven reaped the rewards for those last two Kolat years and unfortunately for this discussion Kolat was no longer at this weight. 

He was at 134 his Jr year when he won it in a weight with Ironside. Not at 42 until his Sr year. 

He'd beaten Jaworsky 3 or 4 times that year, but just in going back and watching the grainy video(with someone in Kolat's group yelling, C'MON CARY, DON'T YOU EVEN WANT THIS...which...SUPER effective when trying to get a Wrestler to win in OT!) when he was SOOO close to a TD in OT in the Semi's. 

But RBY didn't get to Wrestle his Soph year. Maybe he wins one. He lost to Gross 6-5 and then Seabass. Could just have easily have won it that year. Of course, there's a WHOLE lot of close calls. Kolat was 2 late match reversals away from being a 4-timer. 

Even making the giant assumption that RBY does win that weight and he's already got 3(so he's got his 3 in his 4 chances without the extra year)...I'm still taking Kolat.

By the way, I'm sure most knew, but I was unaware that Jarowrsky started at Okie State with Fried and Owens during Pat Smith and then just ahead of Guererro. Gotta imagine that's why he transferred. What an incredible room for lower weights that would have been. Smith still active, a 3X Champ, Fried and AA's above and below. Anyway, just an after thought.

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

He was at 134 his Jr year when he won it in a weight with Ironside. Not at 42 until his Sr year. 

He'd beaten Jaworsky 3 or 4 times that year, but just in going back and watching the grainy video(with someone in Kolat's group yelling, C'MON CARY, DON'T YOU EVEN WANT THIS...which...SUPER effective when trying to get a Wrestler to win in OT!) when he was SOOO close to a TD in OT in the Semi's. 

But RBY didn't get to Wrestle his Soph year. Maybe he wins one. He lost to Gross 6-5 and then Seabass. Could just have easily have won it that year. Of course, there's a WHOLE lot of close calls. Kolat was 2 late match reversals away from being a 4-timer. 

Even making the giant assumption that RBY does win that weight and he's already got 3(so he's got his 3 in his 4 chances without the extra year)...I'm still taking Kolat.

By the way, I'm sure most knew, but I was unaware that Jarowrsky started at Okie State with Fried and Owens during Pat Smith and then just ahead of Guererro. Gotta imagine that's why he transferred. What an incredible room for lower weights that would have been. Smith still active, a 3X Champ, Fried and AA's above and below. Anyway, just an after thought.

TJ started at 126 for Oklahoma St. My guess is he transferred the year they were banned from post season not because of comp in the room. 

On 2/10/2023 at 8:00 AM, ionel said:

Moreover, won an Olympic gold in college another 4 years later never lost folk or free during that time.  Smith won a World gold in college but did lose a couple matches each style.  Gable was only 2x but perhaps still trumps RBY as might a couple others.  I'd said RBY is fighting for 3rd at best.  

Lol, perhaps. This thread is hilarious.