Why doesn't Penn State have a girl's team?

AnklePicker

18 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Using just the analysis from the article, PSU meets point 2. They stated that there were 10 women's athletes added in 6 years.

What I am especially curious about is the male practice partners for female athletes.

• Why do they exist?
    • Are they there because they cannot find enough female practice partners?
    • Are they there because they need tougher practice partners than a female who would be that far down the roster?
  • Are these spots held for men, or are women allowed to occupy them?
    • If women are allowed to occupy them, why don't they?
    • Are coaches complicit by soft blackballing women from the spots?

I can only speak for basketball.  I have/had a number of contacts in and around one of the better women's programs.  (I know a former trainer for the team, I know the brother of a hall of famer, and my daughter went to camp.)  The first I was aware of these male practice players was probably around ten years ago, and they were counselors at the camp.  They were officially managers, but practiced with the women on the team.  "They are bigger and stronger and make us better" according to one of the faces of the team.

I would imagine that really good women who weren't in the WNBA would be able to be a practice player, but good luck finding one who is better than a good man.  The trainer told me that during a championship year, the head coach set up a scrimmage between the University men's intramural champions and the eventual women's national champions.  If I remember correctly, the intramural team won by 30+.  Testosterone and other hormones are really effective!

Did this help at all?

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, manatree said:

3. Proving that a school is meeting the athletic interests and abilities of its female students

I haven't a clue how one goes about proving or disproving this point. 

The percentage of women playing athletics at Penn State is way lower than the % of the school's female population.  They are failing woefully at meet this prong.  You only have to be failing at meeting one prong to get yourself in trouble with the OCR.

I don't like this interpretation of the law at all, I'm just the messenger.

(My uncle was the head coach of a non-revenue sport at a university.  His program was cut, along with several others.  It was cut in order for the school to be compliant with Title IX and also to save money.  I became pretty aware of the unintended effects of Title IX between my uncle's dilemma and what was going on in the wrestling world at the time)

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The percentage of women playing athletics at Penn State is way lower than the % of the school's female population.  They are failing woefully at meet this prong.  You only have to be failing at meeting one prong to get yourself in trouble with the OCR.

I don't like this interpretation of the law at all, I'm just the messenger.

(My uncle was the head coach of a non-revenue sport at a university.  His program was cut, along with several others.  It was cut in order for the school to be compliant with Title IX and also to save money.  I became pretty aware of the unintended effects of Title IX between my uncle's dilemma and what was going on in the wrestling world at the time)

The article states the opposite. It says you only need to satisfy one element. And by the metrics shared in the article, they do satisfy number 2.

If it were all elements then 10 of the 14 B1G schools fail, because they fail the first test.

• Bob 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The article states the opposite. It says you only need to satisfy one element. And by the metrics shared in the article, they do satisfy number 2.

If it were all elements then 10 of the 14 B1G schools fail, because they fail the first test.

You are 100% right.  One of the problems with this, is the need to continuously add opportunities.  "History" tends to only mean adding and improving within the last 3-5 years.  If you added a program six years ago, that program probably doesn't count.  I am not certain about how often PSU adds.

https://dailyiowan.com/2021/10/07/university-of-iowa-womens-swimmers-reach-settlement-in-title-ix-lawsuit/

Article on the Iowa lawsuit.  From reading the article, it seems as if the suit was mostly based on prong 1 (substantial proportionality).  Iowa settled despite being within the OCRs established 5% "safe harbor."