So, how does OSU change on the mat now?

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 10:35 PM, ionel said:

No chairs thrown?

When did Cael throw a chair? I never saw that. I saw Dan Gable throw a chair one time like the jackass he is, though. 

Edited by NM1965

2 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

The sooner the better. Everybody should work from a collar tie. 

I don't know about everyone, its working really well right now though.

despite how common it is, its really hard to teach. Two years ago I was "wrestling" (I was getting killed so badly that term might not be appropriate) an AA who isn't even known as a collar tie guy and his felt like an iron lego snapping onto my head. I had people on my head maybe a million times and never felt anything like it.

It wasn't more than ten years ago that I heard a lot of prominent coaches be very wary about letting some athletes touch the head at all, because there are a lot of very effective counters, but PSU has definitively shown that the pros outweigh that danger...

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

16 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

When did Cael throw a chair? I never saw that. I saw Dan Gable throw a chair one time like the jackass he is, though. 

Pretty sure it was world team trials, someone has the video. 

9 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Match 3 of the 2017 World Team Trials Finals. You can't actually see it in the video, but after the match, Taylor kicked a brick and Cael set a chair on the stage. J'Den injured his knee early in the third, and DT and Cael weren't happy with the officiating the rest of the match.

10 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I don't know about everyone, its working really well right now though.

despite how common it is, its really hard to teach. Two years ago I was "wrestling" (I was getting killed so badly that term might not be appropriate) an AA who isn't even known as a collar tie guy and his felt like an iron lego snapping onto my head. I had people on my head maybe a million times and never felt anything like it.

It wasn't more than ten years ago that I heard a lot of prominent coaches be very wary about letting some athletes touch the head at all, because there are a lot of very effective counters, but PSU has definitively shown that the pros outweigh that danger...

Did you use the collar tie much? I used to work nearly exclusively out of a collar tie because I knew a lot of nasty shit that worked well from it 😄

1 minute ago, NM1965 said:

Did you use the collar tie much? I used to work nearly exclusively out of a collar tie because I knew a lot of nasty shit that worked well from it 😄

I try to but I find that you have to pull with your feet really well to make it work, and thats obviously good wrestling but you have to be in such good shape to do it for very long and i'm just not in that good of shape. I'm sure there are feel guys, more russian types who don't have to work that hard from there but the PSU guys are usually just doing it till the guys position breaks and then taking whatever is on offer. 

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."