can somebody explain NIL to me?

this whole NIL thing is kinda lost on me.  i think i've been seeing people post that X school can get a wrestler to transfer by offering $$$ or this wrestler will go to the highest $$$ offer.

then, in an KOT interview he said he is building a house.  is this from NIL money? 

can somebody explain?  

NIL refers to “name, image and likeness.”  

Historically, NCAA athletes were forbidden from profiting off of their NIL. A few years ago, the rule was eliminated due to a court ruling against the NCAA. 

What it’s supposed to be is an athlete profiting off of what the name suggests (their NIL).  E.g. commercials, marketing deals, brand partnerships, etc.  Schools are still prohibited from paying players directly. Coaches or members of a program cannot technically offer an athlete an NIL deal, and NIL deals are not supposed to include any pay for performance. 

What it is in practice is a workaround for coaches to line up boosters with athletes in order to pay them to play (or wrestle) at their school. 

Where KOT gets his money from, I have no clue. Could be NIL, could be parents, or anything else. Not our business. 

• Brain 1

15 hours ago, Not creative name said:

this whole NIL thing is kinda lost on me.  i think i've been seeing people post that X school can get a wrestler to transfer by offering $$$ or this wrestler will go to the highest $$$ offer.

then, in an KOT interview he said he is building a house.  is this from NIL money? 

can somebody explain?  

NIL means $$$$$$$s

prop-money-bag-$500,000-cu.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRjViTw21DIKLS88kUZGA

any questions?

31 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

NIL refers to “name, image and likeness.”  

Historically, NCAA athletes were forbidden from profiting off of their NIL. A few years ago, the rule was eliminated due to a court ruling against the NCAA. 

What it’s supposed to be is an athlete profiting off of what the name suggests (their NIL).  E.g. commercials, marketing deals, brand partnerships, etc.  Schools are still prohibited from paying players directly. Coaches or members of a program cannot technically offer an athlete an NIL deal, and NIL deals are not supposed to include any pay for performance. 

What it is in practice is a workaround for coaches to line up boosters with athletes in order to pay them to play (or wrestle) at their school. 

Where KOT gets his money from, I have no clue. Could be NIL, could be parents, or anything else. Not our business. 

Could be boosters with big pockets or bank accounts.