Updated Predictions 3/12/24: The Killing Time Edition

While we all wait for the field to be announced later today, and the seeds to be announced tomorrow, I thought I would use the new post-conference Intermat rankings to see how PSU consolidated power and Iowa slid to the abyss.

Oh, wait. Iowa is still in prime position to get second or third? Do tell.

This goes to show, once again, that 14 man / 14 team brackets are very different than 33 man / 66 team brackets.

Yes, NC State returns to the expected runner up slot, but Iowa still improved their expected points in spite of their fourth place team finish at the B1G, and looks to give NC State a run for their money. At this point it will come down to performance versus seed, rather than outright seed advantages, to determine second place.

image.thumb.png.461375d1a79cdb77bebddaf0431b1296.png

Teams sliding this week include Nebraska, Virginia Tech, and Missouri. Missouri is particularly notable. They sat at the top of the also ran heap as recently as January 23, but now are looking like they will be outside the top 10 (12th).

Realistically though, that fourth podium spot looks like a real jump ball. Perform and it is yours... is what of 10 teams can say, but only 1 team will say.

image.png.689eaad7965e2537b5de6321ce136186.png

Meanwhile, PSU still looks like they will come up a bit short of the scoring record.

But then there is always the PSU bump...

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

46 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

"Realistically though, that fourth podium spot looks like a real jump ball. "

There are only three spots on the podium this year, unfortunately.

I know there are only three trophies, but did they also shrink the podium? If so getting new podiums flies in the face of saving money on trophies. But, NCAA.

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I know there are only three trophies, but did they also shrink the podium? If so getting new podiums flies in the face of saving money on trophies. But, NCAA.

Just curious:  do they actually have a podium and team awards presentation?  That's one large podium!

24 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Just curious:  do they actually have a podium and team awards presentation?  That's one large podium!

After searching my memory, I think not. I think the winning team comes up on the mat and takes pics. Sometimes the other teams do, too. But not always, if I recall correctly. And I seem to remember teams milling around waiting for their turn. The second, third, and fourth were not all that enthusiastic and I do not think everyone on the teams bothered.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

After searching my memory, I think not. I think the winning team comes up on the mat and takes pics. Sometimes the other teams do, too. But not always, if I recall correctly. And I seem to remember teams milling around waiting for their turn. The second, third, and fourth were not all that enthusiastic and I do not think everyone on the teams bothered.

I got you some enthusiasm right here.

2023Team.jpeg

• Fire 1