Stuff you Collect

Idaho

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

The older generation knew how to make their own tools, use them, and not care about safety, because they were't stupid (most of the time). 

The longer I'm around, the more I feel this way.   Those folks back in the day were not stupid.   Not at all.

mspart

20 minutes ago, mspart said:

The longer I'm around, the more I feel this way.   Those folks back in the day were not stupid.   Not at all.

mspart

Yep... I keep finding tools my dad made to work on cars...stuff welded to other stuff... way more ingenuity back in the day. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

According to my dad, his dad was very inventive on the farm and invented tools to do the job he needed done.   I don't know what these would be, and they are gone now.   My grandpa died about 20 years before I was born.   I only have stories about him.  

The tools I have of his is a notebook with his writing, a shoulder drill, old style drill bits, hand planers, and measuring tools.   My dad kept his old shovel and I have it now.   Still works. 

mspart

• Fire 2

There’s a pretty good market for those old woodworking tools if they’re the right ones.  Stanley and Sargent are two of the most common brands, but there are others, and more rare, higher value.  There’s lots of great brands for chisels.  Mostly, you need to steel wool them, if needed, to find the brand name.  The steel in those old tools is what makes them different.  Modern steel is different.  The best thing you could do with them is learn how to tune them up and use them.  I’ve got a small collection of them and enjoy working with them.  Some people like to display them.  Watch some youtube videos of Paul Sellers to learn about prepping tools and how to use them to make great stuff.  There are sites to help identify the year old planes were made that I’ll point you to if you like. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, mspart said:

You would not want to see anything I chisel.  Which is why I find renaissance sculptors so fascinating. 

mspart

It’s not that difficult, once you learn a little about the process.  The first thing you learn is how to sharpen tools.  When they are shaving sharp, planes and chisels and saws are amazing tools.