Lopez to return seeking 5th Olympic title

1 minute ago, BAC said:

I'm just busting your nuggets brother, no need to get salty

But omg thanks for the laugh this morning, I needed that!

i'm not salty...

it is just amusing to me when a "fan" doesn't understand what really happens...

1 hour ago, LJB said:

i'm not salty...

it is just amusing to me when a "fan" doesn't understand what really happens...

Glad you are amused!  Likewise, it is amusing to me when wrestling parents actually believe that their high school kids are SO good and SO intimidating that an actual current senior-level world champion and Olympic medalist (Gilman) was SO terrified that he "literally ran away" rather than face them, leading to him being "verbally assaulted" all practice by the kid for his cowardice, and then when he finally gathered the cajones to face the terrifying youth(s), was promptly "teched...  in about 20 seconds".

• Fire 1

Just now, BAC said:

Glad you are amused!  Likewise, it is amusing to me when wrestling parents actually believe that their high school kids are SO good and SO intimidating that an actual current senior-level world champion and Olympic medalist (Gilman) was SO terrified that he "literally ran away" rather than face them, leading to him being "verbally assaulted" all practice by the kid for his cowardice, and then when he finally gathered the cajones to face the terrifying youth(s), was promptly "teched...  in about 20 seconds".

you don't have to believe it...

it makes no difference...

you can't even get it correct that my older son is not in high school...

you just believe what you want so your small little world continues to make sense to you...

On 6/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, mspart said:

Maybe Rulon can make a difference.  If he can make weight.   It's an old guys game these days I guess.  

One other note, he (Lopez) was that good.   I don't know that anyone knows that he is that good anymore.   Even Karelin fell.  We need to get Gable to do both next year.   Could Gable beat Schultz in GR?   Could he be a medal winner in both FS and GR in the 2024 Olympics?   Maybe that would be something worth looking into for him.   It would be tough for sure as competitions are close together in time.   But what a statement that would make.  

mspart

Imagine if Rulon beat Karelin when he was going for his 4th and beat Lopez going for his 5th! I can’t see it happening but that would be crazy lol. I’m sure no one gave him a chance against Karelin, but I think his physical condition is a lot different now.

Just now, Threadkilla said:

Is this a video from the Coronado cafe when they were talking about womens style and stall fest style before Coronella showed up and shit got real?

could have been...

i was laughing so hard and just wishing someone would make a bad decision...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

could have been...

i was laughing so hard and just wishing someone would make a bad decision...

I have a buddy who was University National Champ in Greco in 95 I believe and Freestyle and Greco armed forces champ the following year.  West Point grad  and was a commander inthe US Navy stationed in Afganistan.  Also,     My neighbors kid was a Two-time All-American at the Fargo National Championships and UWW Cadet All-American as a sophomore … Was the Fargo Greco National runner up as a freshman.    

• Fire 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:53 AM, mspart said:

Maybe Rulon can make a difference.  If he can make weight.   It's an old guys game these days I guess.  

One other note, he (Lopez) was that good.   I don't know that anyone knows that he is that good anymore.   Even Karelin fell.  We need to get Gable to do both next year.   Could Gable beat Schultz in GR?   Could he be a medal winner in both FS and GR in the 2024 Olympics?   Maybe that would be something worth looking into for him.   It would be tough for sure as competitions are close together in time.   But what a statement that would make.  

mspart

The mythical Rulon makes a hypothetical appearance.

Rulon already faced Lopez when he was in his was in shape, he went 0-3 against him. And that was a young Lopez who was still taking losses to the field.

What did Rulon do that would make people think he could do this, at 50? He stalemated a severely diminished wrestler who had looked like a shadow of himself for the past two tournaments? So did two other people in those other tournaments. Can they win at 50 too? Rulon didn't score with a wrestling move against Karelin. The arcane grip rule gave him the win. You can also hear the commentator mentioning how all Rulon had to do was stall in that position and he would have been given a point anyway. Definitely a balanced rule, make one guy take all the risk while forcing him to adhere to thumb war concepts. 

On 6/2/2023 at 5:17 PM, Eagle26 said:

Imagine if Rulon beat Karelin when he was going for his 4th and beat Lopez going for his 5th! I can’t see it happening but that would be crazy lol. I’m sure no one gave him a chance against Karelin, but I think his physical condition is a lot different now.

No one new has arisen. Riza is still the best person not named Lopez on paper. And the second best guy going by form is also Cuban, so Lopez wouldn't even need to face him.  The only long shot of a new person is that there is some 20 year old Russian (realistically only country that could produce one now) prodigy that we don't know about. But I haven't seen anything indicating that.

So it's the same people from Tokyo, and what looks like a declining Riza. Nothing interesting about the field.  Which makes it on Lopez.  I don't think any of them can score on him, other than a fluke push out or a terrible mistake. Can still Lopez still gut everyone? If he can, he should win comfortably.

I think his biggest concern is an injury, even mid match. It could happen. 

5 minutes ago, Joust said:

Plenty of them genius. I don't see you talking about them at 50. 

I’m also not denigrating any past achievements…

but…

I'm not an anonymous internet nobody…

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

I’m also not denigrating any past achievements…

but…

I'm not an anonymous internet nobody…

You are not a somebody and your dumb appeal to some nonsensical hypocritical standards aside, I will gladly denigrate your delusions. Nothing to suggest a 50+ year old who can't make weight is a serious contender to medal, let alone beat the guy who owned him when he was. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Joust said:

You are not a somebody and your dumb appeal to some nonsensical hypocritical standards aside, I will gladly denigrate your delusions. Nothing to suggest a 50+ year old who can't make weight is a serious contender to medal, let alone beat the guy who owned him when he was. 

I didn’t do any of that…

but, please do continue with your diatribe…

Or don’t…

it doesn’t matter…

• Haha 1

Just now, LJB said:

But please continue to do whatever anonymously…

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

So I'm anonymous and you are not and that means..................

what???? I'm really curious why you decided to attach meaning to that in this context. And if I wasn't anonymous then checkmate!

Anonymity is great, you can talk less about yourself. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Joust said:

So I'm anonymous and you are not and that means..................

what???? I'm really curious why you decided to attach meaning to that in this context. And if I wasn't anonymous then checkmate!

Anonymity is great, you can talk less about yourself. 

You go, girl!!!!

6 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

I'm confused are you guys talking about Freestyle again?

nah...

just another anonymous internet nobody talking shit about an olympic gold medal...

or any international medal...

nothing new here...

same old same old...

• Fire 1

nah...
just another anonymous internet nobody talking shit about an olympic gold medal...
or any international medal...
nothing new here...
same old same old...

Yup same old stuff around here… just the other day there was a poster talking crap about Gilman… can you believe that?!
  • Haha 2