Why don't teams post their own "content"?

Max86

11 hours ago, ionel said:

If you wanted to see an example of this and the why not, last night's Mizzu v ASU was a good case.  It was put out for free thru the P12 network but think it was a ASU local production.  Good video & announcers, no clock or score info on screen, and only got to see ~3/4 of every match as had connection issues and would go to ~1 minute commercial during match, rarely caught the beginning of a match.  Streaming these types of events takes a company that knows what they are doing not random university undergrad communication programs.  

Just a guess, but I suspect it was an early and only minimally supported attempt at streaming. It wasn't great. It blew chunks.

Video, clock & score on screen, timing of ads (if any), are NOT difficult problems at a major university. Seriously, students there are splitting genes and working on NASA projects.

It has nothing to do with not being able to do it. It does, however, involve a certain level of commitment. If they want to get it done, it can be done easily. HS's do it.

It does not require a 3rd party for-profit company to get it done. It just doesn't. But it does require a bit of commitment.

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

It does not require a 3rd party for-profit company to get it done. It just doesn't. But it does require a bit of commitment.

... and a fair amount of money. No way all that should be done for free (the staff, production, talent)

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

2 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

... and a fair amount of money. No way all that should be done for free (the staff, production, talent)

Could not agree with you more.

It's just a fact that the university infrastructure already has a significant edge over 3rd party providers from a technical standpoint. We don't need Flo/Rokfin for it.

I've said it earlier here, the technology isn't where the value is - at all. The value is in the talent (and production) - that much is 100% clear.

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Could not agree with you more.

It's just a fact that the university infrastructure already has a significant edge over 3rd party providers from a technical standpoint. We don't need Flo/Rokfin for it.

I've said it earlier here, the technology isn't where the value is - at all. The value is in the talent (and production) - that much is 100% clear.

The ESPN+ streams are pretty much all in-house productions and sent to ESPN+ servers. They have minimum baselines on all sorts of things. I actually had to send them some clips when the NAIA wanted to use me for their finals stream before I started doing the PA. The in-house graphics crew mostly gets used to football and basketball, but you see wrestling have a few anomalies, such as the nuances we have with riding time, etc. I've seen varying degrees of production from hockey streams this year. 

It's not the easiest interface to search (like on my Roku TV), but it has that familiarity to it. You also have to get the schools to WANT to do non-revenue sports. You'll see them either get bundled in with the MMR deals or you'll see them just tossed to the site because they're not worth their time - like indoor winter sports venues NOT ticketing or counting attendance (that's another soap box).

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here.