Iowa fans clamoring to change from folk to freestyle

Jimmy Cinnabon

I'm kinda surprised by this.  I get Spencer Lee thinks folkstyle sucks but I don't think the Hawkeye Wrestling Club is producing many freestyle prospects, at least for men.  I even wonder how Lee will do in freestyle after he graduates due to the wear and tear on his body.

Do Hawkeye fans really think their team would do better if folkstyle was replaced by freestyle at the college level?

Would Iowa have won last night if it were competed as a freestyle match?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I'm kinda surprised by this.  I get Spencer Lee thinks folkstyle sucks but I don't think the Hawkeye Wrestling Club is producing many freestyle prospects, at least for men.  I even wonder how Lee will do in freestyle after he graduates due to the wear and tear on his body.

Do Hawkeye fans really think their team would do better if folkstyle was replaced by freestyle at the college level?

Would Iowa have won last night if it were competed as a freestyle match?

I'm not sure if Iowa wins under freestyle rules. Hard to say since we haven't seen most of either team in that style. I do think it would have been more entertaining.

3 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I'm not sure if Iowa wins under freestyle rules. Hard to say since we haven't seen most of either team in that style. I do think it would have been more entertaining.

Let's play it out:

125 Lee still wins

133 RBY still wins

141 ?

149 ?

157 ?

165 ?

174 Starocci still wins

184 Brooks still wins

197 Dean still wins

HWT Kerk still wins

So basically same result at 6/10 weights with 4 unknowns at 141-165, since I don't know how those guys do at freestyle.  Iowa has to win 4/4 to tie it up.  I don't think they would do that.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

To be honest, if they switched from folk to free next season, I think PSU would be even more dominant than they are under folkstyle rules.  Look at how many members of the US senior freestyle team are from the NLWC.  Now compare how many are from the HWC.

I haven't seen any Iowa fans suggest results would be different if the styles were different (but I also don't pay much attention to what other fans think). I am convinced we would see more action if the rules were tweaked. We don't need to go full on Freestyle necessarily 

I think at the end of the day we all just want to see more action. I’m watching Minnesota vs Illinois right now and there has been more shots in the first 4 matches of this dual than there was in the entire dual last night.