Would you rather-Oylimpic Set-up

On 8/13/2024 at 6:54 PM, 152lbs said:

1996 and before used an A and B pool system.  1992 John Smith lost to Reinoso but teched Aliev? (who beat Reinoso) and thus won his pool.

@FWwrestling

It has been all over the place over the years.

• From 1928 to 1980 a bad points system was used. Accumulate 6 bad points and you are eliminated.
  • From 1984 to 1992 it was two pools with double elimination in the pools. Top from each pool wrestled for gold, second from each for bronze, third from each for fifth, etc.
  • For 1996 it was a single elimination bracket with repechage.
  • From 2000 to 2004 it was pools of three or four with the winner of each pool moving to a single elimination bracket.
  • Since 2008 it has been a single elimination bracket with repechage.
Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

On 8/13/2024 at 5:41 PM, Eagle26 said:

Definitely we want more weights. The issue that a lot of people don’t realize is that it has nothing to do with the number of medals. It’s all about the number of participants. So to get more weights you’d have to make the brackets smaller than 16 (which no countries outside of the top 3 or 4 would vote for), or cut Greco which might sound like a good idea to US but not the rest of the world. So we are pretty much stuck

I think the best we can hope for is 8 weights. Eight or fewer weights is historically more common than 10 for the Olympics and for Worlds. But the real shame of it is that it was FILA/UWWW that started cutting back on weights, not the Olympics.

image.png.a0c7f898be596257fb7f3cb239c4f0a8.png

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

17 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think the best we can hope for is 8 weights. Eight or fewer weights is historically more common than 10 for the Olympics and for Worlds. But the real shame of it is that it was FILA/UWWW that started cutting back on weights, not the Olympics.

image.png.a0c7f898be596257fb7f3cb239c4f0a8.png

Eight weights would be ideal. I'm sure lots of folks on here would like 10, but I fear that things become a bit watered down with that many weights.

PNWfan

On 8/13/2024 at 8:29 AM, FWwrestling said:

Have pools every been tried at the Olympics? I think it would be a solution to get some of the wrestlers a few more matches and give a better idea of who is the best at that given event.

They were tried once but too many drowned.