Mizzou next year

I was at a watch party with about 20 old wrestlers and coaches and this question was brought up.  Many in the crowd know the Elams from dad's high school and college days, as well as following the boys through their youth and HS days.  Word in the room was both boys were a bit toasty about wrestling, and Rocky has dealt with naggy injury.  Would I be surprised if Rocky left his shoes on the mat?  Not a bit.   
Leave his shoes on the mat after next season or not even return? I'd be shocked if he didn't return, but I certainly don't have any inside info. It certainly seems like he was dealing with something injury-wise based on his limited schedule and lackluster early season performance, but he was rounding back into form for the postseason. Given that, I don't see his finish as a disappointment. He split with a tough Cardenas, and he was never beating Brooks or Sloan even at his peak. I hope he doesn't finish his career with a whimper the way Mauller and Mocco did.

16 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

This is my guess on what the lineup could look like next year. Hopefully Selzter can carve out a starting role. He was ahead of Moore before weight issue cost him his spot. 

Surtin

Moore

Edmond

Gioffre

Steed/Conway loser goes 165

KOT

Hawks/Whiting

R Elam

? no clue on 285

We have a pretty good class coming in, most likely the majority RS, but you never know. Big Elam graduates leaving a big hole, doubtful but maybe we get a transfer in the portal. 

How's Conway looking?

I know my comments are critical of the current Mizzou wrestling edition, but you don't get people commenting about the state of a program unless that program has reached the point of relevance.  There was a day when Tiger wrestling fans would have been ecstatic with an 11th place finish at nationals.  We can thank Coach Smith and his staffs for getting Tiger wrestling to the point where we follow the team religiously, drive to Columbia for home duals and new attendance records, and are a bit spoiled with our climb to what I would call the "2nd highest tier" of the D1 hierarchy.  We are not in the class of the traditional top tier blue bloods yet, but knocking on the door, or at least were knocking on the door.  With success and the accolades that come with it, also comes the expectations and ire that can be that double edged sword when the bottom falls out and fans left wondering, "what the hell happened?"  Now looking to the "24/25" edition, we'll see how this coaching staff meets the challenge.
Nothing wrong with being critical of the performance, but I wouldn't expect any major changes. The athletic department seems happy with the status quo, and Mizzou is not a destination school for wrestling (or any other sport). I don't see them spending the money necessary to change that. I just hope Smith can find a way to light a fire back under the program.

10 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
10 hours ago, MidwestMan said:
I was at a watch party with about 20 old wrestlers and coaches and this question was brought up.  Many in the crowd know the Elams from dad's high school and college days, as well as following the boys through their youth and HS days.  Word in the room was both boys were a bit toasty about wrestling, and Rocky has dealt with naggy injury.  Would I be surprised if Rocky left his shoes on the mat?  Not a bit.   

Leave his shoes on the mat after next season or not even return? I'd be shocked if he didn't return, but I certainly don't have any inside info. It certainly seems like he was dealing with something injury-wise based on his limited schedule and lackluster early season performance, but he was rounding back into form for the postseason. Given that, I don't see his finish as a disappointment. He split with a tough Cardenas, and he was never beating Brooks or Sloan even at his peak. I hope he doesn't finish his career with a whimper the way Mauller and Mocco did.

As I stated, the question popped up while Rocky was getting teched by Brooks, then fizzled in the next rounds.  There was comments from people that are pretty reliable sources, that Big Elam was ready for the season/wrestling to be over and Rocky was also dealing with HEW, some of which could be injury related.  We all know what the grind of wrestling does to the head and body by the end if the season, and that could be part of the Elam psyche, and comments.  Was very happy the way Zach completed his collegiate career as he continued to move up as an AA and get a great win against Schultz.  His senior year was obviously a success.  We all want to see Rocky back, and he will be in the hunt for a title at 197 if his head is right and he is healthy.  I had been suggest to others for a long time that he could go up if weight is an issue.  I just don't want to see him finish like Mocco and Mueller, just being loyal and putting in the time.  If the fire is not in the belly, be proud of your legacy as a 4 time AA, and get on with life.

16 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
12 hours ago, MidwestMan said:
I know my comments are critical of the current Mizzou wrestling edition, but you don't get people commenting about the state of a program unless that program has reached the point of relevance.  There was a day when Tiger wrestling fans would have been ecstatic with an 11th place finish at nationals.  We can thank Coach Smith and his staffs for getting Tiger wrestling to the point where we follow the team religiously, drive to Columbia for home duals and new attendance records, and are a bit spoiled with our climb to what I would call the "2nd highest tier" of the D1 hierarchy.  We are not in the class of the traditional top tier blue bloods yet, but knocking on the door, or at least were knocking on the door.  With success and the accolades that come with it, also comes the expectations and ire that can be that double edged sword when the bottom falls out and fans left wondering, "what the hell happened?"  Now looking to the "24/25" edition, we'll see how this coaching staff meets the challenge.

Nothing wrong with being critical of the performance, but I wouldn't expect any major changes. The athletic department seems happy with the status quo, and Mizzou is not a destination school for wrestling (or any other sport). I don't see them spending the money necessary to change that. I just hope Smith can find a way to light a fire back under the program.

Exactly Crotaius.  There is no pressure to win wrestling at Mizzou, and to be honest, with us being in the SEC for everything else, I'm just happy every year wrestling is not dropped.  MU is not going to spend money to improve the program.  Smith has done the unimaginable by building the program to where it is and "tickling" the loyal wrestling fans of the state.  I just want my cake and eat it too, thus the criticism and wishful posts.  Just an old retired guy with too much time to bitch.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

Mizzou could use some depth/competition at 125 and 133.  Have a couple of extra 125s and 133s listed on the roster but they also have Seitzer listed as a 133 and we know how that went.  Surtin and Moore will be returning, but when Moore was out, the Tigers had to forfeit a match.  When I look at a roster I sleays wonder how many are still a actively wrestling and who may have quit.  

Read in the transfer portal thread that Ben Askren mentioned Wyatt Hendrickson might be exploring a transfer to Mizzou.. that would be a great addition to the team.
Keep reading and you'll see why that isn't going to happen (unfortunately).

8 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
57 minutes ago, tiger-style said:
Read in the transfer portal thread that Ben Askren mentioned Wyatt Hendrickson might be exploring a transfer to Mizzou.. that would be a great addition to the team.

Keep reading and you'll see why that isn't going to happen (unfortunately).

I saw that discussion, but why would Ben say it if it wasn't possible?