The September 2023 Sumo Tournament

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Is this tournament similar to when @Wrestleknownothing while wearing speedo accidently bumps into someone on the beach?  🤔

Sumo is not nearly as dangerous.

Seriously, these guys don't wear helmets, frequently fall from a platform 24 inches above the ground with another fatty landing on top of them, can slap faces hard, and I've never seen anybody wearing a mouth guard. 

It's nuts.

• Ionel 1

I contracted with Japan Gas years ago and worked every day for about 10 months on a project with 2 Japanese guys and we would talk about Sumo, 

I used to follow it alot even prior to working with these guys  back in the 90's when Akebono (Chad Rowen) and Musashimaru both American born Yokozuna both over 500lbs and Ozeki Kaio,  these guys were all huge beasts,  Then the little guys under 350lb started taking over the sport Takanahana and Asashoryo were all finess, then  came the GOAT  Hakuho,  He was the Yokozuna when I worked with JGC.  The guy was unreal,  cat quick and considered the best ever.  

I quit watching for quite a while and never really watched Harumafuji or any of the current Basho.  

The fellas I worked with said that best Sumo guys were treated like rock stars and are  set for life and even the lesser known guys were very well compensated.  

• Brain 1

Great story, @Threadkilla! I was there for the last year of Hakuho's reign. He was amazing. By far the GOAT among legends. 

The May basho is over, and we have a new winner! Onosato is the champion in only his third tournament. He finished at 12-3. The runner-up was the fellow I also thought had a chance to win, Daieisho, who finished at 11-4. 

Ura fell apart as expected, but it was so bad that he failed to reach .500 with a 7-8 record. That was unexpected. I was happy to see Takarafuji finish 9-6, which is a nice record for him at his age. 

Onosato has now finished 11-4, 11-4 and 12-3 in his three bashos. One runner-up finish and a championship. He is a new and emerging super talent. Hakkeyoi! 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Great story, @Threadkilla! I was there for the last year of Hakuho's reign. He was amazing. By far the GOAT among legends. 

The May basho is over, and we have a new winner! Onosato is the champion in only his third tournament. He finished at 12-3. The runner-up was the fellow I also thought had a chance to win, Daieisho, who finished at 11-4. 

Ura fell apart as expected, but it was so bad that he failed to reach .500 with a 7-8 record. That was unexpected. I was happy to see Takarafuji finish 9-6, which is a nice record for him at his age. 

Onosato has now finished 11-4, 11-4 and 12-3 in his three bashos. One runner-up finish and a championship. He is a new and emerging super talent. Hakkeyoi! 

I looked up Onosato's bio,  apparently he won the World Sumo games in Alabama in 2022.  I didn't know Sumo was ever contested in the states.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Pipewrench said:

Illini, do you ever watch Futagoyama beya YT channel?  Good stuff.

Hakkeyoi!

About 99% of the time, I watch only the upper division. I had to search out that channel. It looks fun. Although this might not be the one you are talking about. Anyway, the :44 video below was hilarious. Cheers!