Wouldn't it be great if they still called stalling like this?

BerniePragle

This is the famous "Kolat Flip" from the PIAA HS championships in '92.  But, this is not what we're here for.  The other kid didn't back down from Kolat at all even with Kolat's reputation and the way Kolat was working on his arm.
Go to 3:50 and notice the stall call.   I don't know if that ref is still alive, but wouldn't it be great if we could get him to do a clinic on calling stalling for the current crop of NCAA refs.  Also note the announcers agreed with the call.

Full disclosure:  Even I think this stalling call was hardly warranted here.  Maybe even I have become too used to today's reffing.

Edited by BerniePragle
  • Fire 3

8 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

This is the famous "Kolat Flip" from the PIAA HS championships in '92.  But, this is not what we're here for.  The other kid didn't back down from Kolat at all even with Kolat's reputation and the way Kolat was working on his arm.
Go to 3:50 and notice the stall call.   I don't know if that ref is still alive, but wouldn't it be great if we could get him to do a clinic on calling stalling for the current crop of NCAA refs.  Also note the announcers agreed with the call.

Full disclosure:  Even I think this stalling call was hardly warranted here.  Maybe even I have become too used to today's reffing.

Compare that with the stall call from Kolat vs. Ironside in the 1996 All-Star Classic, at around 5:52. Can you imagine a ref making that call today? With :01 left in the period? 🤯

• Fire 2