Does anyone really care if the Hollywood actors and writers are going on strike?

Paul158

I'm bummed out because it seems like we were just coming out of a Covid malaise at the movies and now we're right back into a production halt. Last week before MI:7 (which was excellent) there were trailers for Oppenheimer, Dune 2, Napoleon and Killers of the Flower Moon. Four movies by four of the best working directors. I'm excited for all of these. Who knows when we will get the next project from any of them now. With Martin Scorsese and Ridley Scott's advanced age, who knows if we will get a next project, which is a bummer. 

I think the hard thing is the industry has to contract. There were 600 scripted shows airing/streaming last year. There should be a third fewer and you would largely find the money to give the increases and residuals to the writers and actors who are left. 

On the AI issue, while the writers and actors are no doubt looking out for their own interests first, they're really saving the producers from their worst instincts. The fewer things that are computer generated the better movies are (again, see MI7). The creativity of humans is what makes the arts worthwhile. If you let a computer churn out an endless stream of mid content, think how much more stultifying everything will be than what you think it is now.