InterMat Job Board
Assistant Coach - Wrestling
Harvard University is looking for an Assistant Coach for Wrestling.
Job Summary :
Under the supervision of the Head Coach, the purpose of this position is to use athletics as a tool to educate college students. By using inter-collegiate competition and all activities related to such competition, this position serves as a teacher and mentor to help build student character, prepare students for a constructive and effective life, and teach valuable life lessons including work ethic; discipline; resilience; persistence; teamwork and selflessness; goal-setting and goal achievement; overcoming adversity; and leadership. This position typically influences student-athletes for their entire four years at Harvard and plays a key role in shaping their personal development.
This position assists in planning, directing, and coaching the menâ€™s inter-collegiate Wrestling program. Typically works with all student-athletes in the program. May supervise other Assistant Coaches, Coaching Assistants, and/or Volunteer Coaches.
This position plays a key leadership role for the Wrestling program. Will fill in when the Head Coach is absent. Typically has a significant role as liaison with Athletics administrative departments. Requires experience coaching at the collegiate level or comparable experience, which may include coaching/teaching at the professional level. Particularly for sports that are more prominent on an international level than in the United States, comparable experience may include playing in professional or other high-performance environments, such as for a national team or at the Olympic level.
This is a one-year term position renewable at the discretion of the Head Coach and Athletic Director.
Position Description :
1. Athlete Team Management
- Assists Head Coach in developing, coordinating, and planning practices and competitions to develop student-athlete skills and helps team perform at competitive levels.
- Develops, coordinates, and plans assigned portions of practices and game management consistent with Head Coachâ€™s strategic vision.
- Analyzes video to scout opponents and develop strategies for team development.
- Executes a student-athlete talent recruitment plan and retention strategy consistent with values of excellence and inclusion.
- Effectively leads and communicates with students by generating enthusiasm for the team through credible coaching.
- Supports culture of education through athletics. Assists in academic integration with team.
2. Operational Complexity
- Assists in the development and execution of team strategy, logistics, and operational direction.
- Operates within budget.
- Maintains compliance with University, Ivy League, NCAA, and other rules and regulations.
- Coordinates with less-experienced coaches in implementing objectives.
- Participates in professional development activities; follows trends and embraces innovation opportunities.
- Assists head coach in problem resolution.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively with the Head Coach and athletics administrators.
3. Communication & Influence
- Assists Head Coach in maintaining and building viewership, and maintaining and creating positive media interest, consistent with the applicable sport.
- Supports the Head Coach in influencing public interest where applicable.
Under the direction of the Head Coach, the Assistant Coach will help run the inter-collegiate Wrestling program at Harvard. In addition to the responsibilities listed above, this position will:
- Help instruct and develop student-athletes
- Assist in making strategic decisions in contest situations
- Oversee the strength and conditioning of the athletes
- Assist in developing and implementing the overall recruiting strategy
- Assist in fundraising efforts and running special events.
- Handle administrative responsibilities associated with the program operations, including, recruiting logistics and planning, team travel details, and equipment ordering
Basic Qualifications :
Bachelor's degree required. At least (a) 2 years of experience wrestling at the college level OR (b) 2 years of experience coaching wrestling at the college level.
Additional Qualifications and Skills :
- Requires substantial mastery of wrestling knowledge and relevant issues.
- Understands the philosophy, principles, and policies of college athletics (including the University Conflict of Interest and Commitment policy).
- Requires moderate management and leadership knowledge, including the ability to work with and relate well to a diverse group of athletes, administrators, and other University constituents.
- Must be administratively self-sufficient and proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and web applications.
- Basic video filming, editing, and analytical ability are preferred.
- The ideal candidate has a demonstrated track record of success and should also have strong organizational skills and an ability to work independently. Must be able to respect and comply with guidelines set forth by Harvard, the Ivy League, and the NCAA.
Certificates and Licenses :
Valid driver's license needed
CPR and First Aid required
Physical Requirements :
Must be able to lift equipment associated with the sport.
Working Conditions :
- Evening and weekend work required.
-Job requires work in extreme environmental conditions, including extreme heat and cold, rain, and high levels of noise.
NOTICE: COVID Vaccine Policy: The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated (primary series) against COVID, as detailed in Harvardâ€™s Vaccine & Booster Information. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the Universityâ€™s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the Universityâ€™s â€œCOVID-19 Vaccine Informationâ€ webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Additional Information :
Harvard is a highly selective liberal arts college whose mission is to educate citizens and citizen-leaders for our society. The College is a residential institution of nearly 7,000 undergraduates and is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard is deeply committed to the intellectual, social and personal transformation of its undergraduates during their four years at Harvard.
The Department of Athletics offers 42 varsity programs for men and women, more than any other Division I school in the United States. We also offer extensive recreational and intramural programs.
Harvard employees have access to a competitive benefits package that includes multiple options for the health and well-being of our employees as well as ongoing professional development.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources. We regret that, due to the number of responses we typically receive, we may be unable to respond to phone calls or contact personally those applicants not selected for an interview.
We actively seek and welcome applications from diverse candidates and from those with a demonstrable commitment to a more inclusive society.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging :
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
To apply: https://bit.ly/3ByPTuY