InterMat Job Board
STU (Miami) Assistant Coach
Position Type: full-time (full benefits)
Location: Miami, FL
St Thomas University Wrestling is seeking an Assistant Wrestling Coach, responsible for on-mat coaching and recruitment of academically-qualified student athletes for a NAIA wrestling program, within the guidelines, rules and regulations of St Thomas University, the NAIA, and the Appalachian Conference.
All Athletics staff members are expected to contribute to STU's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
1. Lead training and practice sessions, ensuring that all appropriate safety guidelines and standards are maintained. Perform specific coaching responsibilities during athletic events. Attend coaches' preparatory meetings and implement strategies resulting from these meetings.
2. Assigned responsibilities within the daily operations and the overall administration of the sports program.
3. Develop a comprehensive and functional knowledge of the sport and maintain a thorough and continuing familiarity with all applicable University and NAIA regulations.
4. Scout and recruit quality student-athletes under the guidance and direction of the head coach and coordinate all recruiting activities with the head coach and with appropriate Departmental personnel. Be responsible to identify, cultivate and assess for a specific geographical area or position group.
5. Serve as an Academic Enhancement staff member responsible for all facets of the sport-specific academic program, including the monitoring of individual student-athletes academic progress as expressed by the faculty. Demonstrate an active interest in the academic progress of student-athletes. Work closely with all appropriate Departmental personnel to assure academic success of student-athletes.
6. Work with student-athletes to monitor adherence to rules and regulations regarding conduct, appearance and behavior. Provide individual counseling to student-athletes when appropriate and direct the student-athlete to professional staff when needed.
7. Work closely with the athletic training staff to insure the safety of all student-athletes.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
9. Represents the sports program to various institutional programs and externally to the media, funding agencies, students, parents, faculty and the general public.
10. Able to drive vans for trips shorter than 3hrs
-Collegiate wrestling or coaching experience
-Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and student-athletes having a range of backgrounds, interests, and perspectives
1. Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
2. Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds. Requires standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
1. NCAA DI level or All American/National Champ at your level
2. Worked at a college level before
3. Have knowledge or connections in Florida (and the south)
Contact Jake Patacsil at email@example.com