WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana -- The top-ranked University of Iowa wrestling team used three pins and a pair of technical falls to defeat No. 18 Purdue on Sunday, 31-18, at Holloway Gymnasium-Hawkeye Arena.
Wrestling insertThe Hawkeyes and Boilermakers split the first eight matches, but Iowa held a 22-15 lead in the team score thanks to pins from Jaydin Eierman and Michael Kemerer, and technical falls from Austin DeSanto and Max Murin.
DeSanto put up 24 points at 133. He has now outscored his four opponents this season, 84-22. Murin put up a career-high 19 points in a technical fall at 149.
Eierman and Kemerer both secured falls in the opening minute of the second period. Eierman's fall was the 40th of his career.
The Hawkeyes closed the dual sweeping the final two matches, getting a ranked win from Jacob Warner at 197 and their third fall of the dual from Tony Cassioppi at 285.
The win was Iowa's 17th straight overall and 22nd straight in the Big Ten.
• Iowa has won 17 straight overall and 22 consecutive Big Ten duals.
• Iowa has won 32 straight against Purdue.
• Tom Brands improved to 11-0 all-time against Purdue.
• Iowa wrestled without starters Spencer Lee (125), Kaleb Young (157) and Alex Marinelli (165).
• Austin DeSanto won by technical fall (24-8) and has outscored his four opponents this season, 84-22.
• Jaydin Eierman registered his second straight pin, his second as a Hawkeye and the 40th of his career.
• Max Murin put up a career-high 19 points. He previously scored 19 in his debut as an unattached freshman in 2016.
• Michael Kemerer registered his first pin of the season and 18th of his career.
• Jacob Warner improved to 17-9 in his career against ranked opponents.
• Tony Cassioppi earned his second pin of the season and his second in as many appearances.
125 #11 Devin Schroder (P) tech. fall Aaron Cashman (IA), 18-0; 0-5
133 #4 Austin DeSanto (IA) tech. fall Jacob Rundell (P), 24-8; 5-5
141 #1 Jaydin Eierman (IA) pinned Parker Filius (P), 3:46; 11-6
149 #5 Max Murin (IA) tech. fall Trey Kruse (P), 19-3, 16-5
157 #7 Kendall Coleman (P) major dec. Zach Axmear (IA), 18-6; 16-9
165 Gerrit Nijenhuis (P) pinned Joe Kelly (IA), 4:26; 16-15
174 #1 Michael Kemerer (IA) pinned Emil Soehnlen (P), 3:59; 22-15
184 #18 Max Lyon (P) dec. #8 Nelson Brands (IA), 6-1; 22-18
197 #3 Jacob Warner (IA) dec. #17 Thomas Penola (P), 9-5; 25-18
285 #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) pinned Dorian Keys (P), 2:15; 31-18
Records: Iowa (4-0, 4-0), Purdue (2-4, 2-4)
Date: Feb. 7, 2021
133: Cullan Schriever (I) major dec. Nate Cummings (P), 21-8
141: Carter Happel (I) pinned Michael Leveille (P), 5:00
141: Justin Stickley (I) pinned Isaac Riddle (P), 2:47
149: Cobe Siebrecht (I) tech. fall Ethan Smiley (P), 17-1
184: Myles Wilson (I) dec. Macartney Parkinson (P), 6-3
285: Aaron Costello (I) dec. Jamarcus Grant (P), 5-4