The Navy wrestling team (1-1, 1-0 EIWA) secured its first win of the 2020-21 campaign by earning victories in nine of the 10 bouts to defeat Clarion (0-1) 41-3 on Saturday afternoon at Tippin Gym in Pennsylvania. Additionally, the two programs engaged in 24 "extra matches" which will count towards each individual's record this season.
"Every win you earn is awesome, no matter when it comes," said Cary Kolat, who earned his first victory as the Mids' head coach after being hired last March. "The most important thing for me and the coaching staff was to see how we improved from last week's match against Pitt. Our goal was to improve our positioning, controlling from the top and winning on our feet. I felt overall we were successful in achieving that goal and were able to dominate in several of our matches. One of the other things that stood out today was how we wrestled for each other. I saw them as individuals come together as a team.
"Wrestling in a dual, representing your school is steeped in pride. Having the extra matches has provided an avenue for our No. 2 or backup wrestlers to travel and put on that singlet and compete just as our starters in a dual. You can see the camaraderie that is being built amongst teammates which will make us a tighter team. I believe the opportunity to have these extra matches has been a positive for our program and I hope that we can continue it in some format in the future."
• The Midshipmen are now 1-1 on the year, including 1-0 on the road.
• Saturday's dual marked just the third match between the two programs in a series that dates back to 1975.
• Meeting for the first time since Jan. 24, 1976, Navy now leads the series against Clarion, 3-0.
• The dual marked just the second contested between the two programs at Clarion, as the Mids scored a 29-15 victory over the Golden Eagles in the inaugural match on Jan. 4, 1975.
• Seven of Navy's nine victories earned bonus points with three falls (Caravela, Birchmeier, Cobb), one tech fall (T. Skidgel) and three majors (L. Treaster, Allen, Trybus).
• Navy never trailed in the match and won the first-three bouts before second-year starter Jacob Koser dropped a 6-2 decision at 197 pounds to 11th-ranked Greg Bulsak.
• The 38-point victory was Navy's largest margin of victory since defeating George Mason 43-0 on Feb. 6, 2018.
• The 41 points were the most points scored by the Mids since defeating George Mason 43-0 on Feb. 6, 2018, while it marked the fewest points scored by an opponent since that same dual.
• Freshman David Key (184) and sophomores Jacob Koser (197) and John Birchmeier (285) made their season debut after missing last week's opener against Pitt.
• Logan Treaster (125), Cody Trybus (133), Casey Cobb (149) and Andrew Cerniglia (157) all improved to 2-0 in dual action this season with wins over both Pitt and Clarion.
• Freshman David Key (184) earned his first-collegiate victory by way of a 4-2 decision over senior Max Wohlabaugh.
• The 19-1 tech fall by Tanner Skidgel (165) was just his 14th-career bonus-point win and only his second victory by tech fall.
• Five of Dean Caravela's (174) eight-career victories have been by fall, including today's pin in 4:21 against Caleb Hetrick
• Jacob Allen (133) earned his first dual win of the season with a 9-1 major decision over Dylan Burnoski.
• 13th-ranked Cody Trybus (141) scored a 10-1 major decision over Kyle Schickel and is now 14-1 over four seasons in matches ending in major decisions.
• Casey Cobb (149) is a perfect 7-0 over his career in matches ending in falls after pinning Jalin Hankerson at 6:26.
• Rookie Andrew Cerniglia (157) has reached double digits in each of his three wins this season, including a 10-5 decision over Trevor Elfvin on Saturday.
165 | #10 Tanner Skidgel (NAVY) tech fall Kolby Ho, 19-1 // Navy 5, Clarion 0
174 | Dean Caravela (NAVY) fall Caleb Hetrick, 4:21 // Navy 11, Clarion 0
184 | David Key (NAVY) dec Max Wohlabaugh, 4-2 // Navy 14, Clarion 0
197 | #11 Greg Bulsak dec Jacob Koser (NAVY), 6-2 // Navy 14, Clarion 3
285 | John Birchmeier (NAVY) fall Ty Bagoly, 5:29 // Navy 20, Clarion 3
125 | Logan Treaster (NAVY) major Cam Butler, 15-2 // Navy 24, Clarion 3
133 | Jacob Allen (NAVY) major Dylan Burnoski, 9-1 // Navy 28, Clarion 3
141 | #13 Cody Trybus (NAVY) major Kyle Schickel, 10-1 // Navy 32, Clarion 3
149 | Casey Cobb (NAVY) fall Jalin Hankerson, 6:26 // Navy 38, Clarion 3
157 | Andrew Cerniglia (NAVY) dec Trevor Elfvin, 10-5 // Navy 41, Clarion 3
165 | John Worthing dec Henry Hague (NAVY), 8-7
165 | Henry Hague (NAVY) dec Eli Brinsky, 2-1
165 | Kolby Ho dec Henry Hague (NAVY), 9-6
165 | Tanner Skidgel (NAVY) major Eli Brinsky, 18-4
165 | Tanner Skidgel (NAVY) major John Worthing, 12-3
174 | Mike Vernagallo tech fall Gary Eakin (NAVY), 16-0 (3:47)
174 | Caleb Hetrick dec Gary Eakin (NAVY), 9-6
174 | Dean Caravela (NAVY) dec Mike Vernagallo, 10-7
184 | David Key (NAVY) fall Derek Brown, 4:50
197 | Malcolm Wiley (NAVY) dec Brett Wittmann, 7-0
197 | Greg Bulsak major Malcolm Wiley (NAVY), 13-2
197 | Jacob Koser (NAVY) fall Brett Wittman, 1:37
285 | John Birchmeier (NAVY) dec Austin Chapman, 8-2
285 | Riley Smith (NAVY) dec Austin Chapman, 6-2
285 | Riley Smith (NAVY) dec Tyler Bagoly, 12-7
125 | Logan Treaster (NAVY) fall Blake Jackson, 1:42
133 | Jacob Allen (NAVY) major TJ England, 8-0
133 | Luke Lucerne (NAVY), dec TJ England, 11-5
141 | Cody Trybus (NAVY) dec Seth Koleno, 7-4
141 | Tyler Hunt (NAVY) major Seth Koleno, 15-6
141 | Tyler Hunt (NAVY) dec Kyle Schickle, 8-4
149 | Casey Cobb (NAVY) major Joe Sliwoski, 12-3
149 | PJ Crane (NAVY) dec Joe Sliwoski, 5-2
149 | PJ Crane (NAVY) dec Jalin Hankerson, 6-1
• Navy will be back in action next Saturday when it plays host to longtime rival Lehigh at Alumni Hall.
• Action is slated to begin at 6:00 pm and will be streamed on ESPN+.