The Navy wrestling team (8-4, 3-1 EIWA) secured a 39-6 victory over a short-handed Duke (0-15, 0-3 ACC) squad Sunday afternoon at Northwood High School in Pittsboro, N.C. The Blue Devils forfeited two (125 & 141) of the first three matches, giving way to 12 points. Navy, meanwhile, claimed victory in the first nine matches before an injury at heavyweight gave Duke its lone win.
"Today was a great opportunity to see some guys get competition opportunities that have not had many starts for us and they stepped up to the opportunity," said sixth-year Navy head coach Joel Sharratt. "Winning nine out of 10 bouts was a very strong performance by these guys and a good stepping stone towards our future goals. The focus is set on our two remaining duals and putting guys forward to the EIWAs that are hungry and ready to compete the Navy Way for their ticket to the NCAA Championship."
• The Midshipmen moved to 8-4 in dual competition this season, having earned wins in each of their last four duals.
• Navy has wrestled five consecutive duals on the road - Lehigh (L, 23-9), American (W, 24-21), Drexel (W, 23-15), George Mason (W, 23-14) and Duke (W, 39-6).
• Navy is now 15-2 all-time against the Blue Devils.
• Navy never trailed in the match and won nine straight bouts before bowing out of the heavyweight match due to injury.
• Three Navy wrestlers earned their first collegiate dual victories in the win.
• While the Mids earned bonus points for the two Duke forfeits, they went on to win three bonus-point bouts - major decision by Jack Stanton-Taddeo (157), fall by Dean Caravela (184), tech fall by Jacob Koser (197).
• Jacob Allen (133) improved to 4-0 in dual action this season with his 6-2 victory over Harrison Campbell. Allen has dual wins over California Baptist, Lehigh, Drexel and Duke. Allen has won six of his last seven matches overall.
• Making his fifth career dual appearance, Wyatt Long (149) earned his first collegiate dual victory by way of an 8-5 decision over Wade Unger. Long came into the match 0-3 in duals this season.
• Also earning his first collegiate dual victory was Jack Stanton-Taddeo (157), who came into the match having wrestled in just a pair of duals. He dominated Duke's Eric Carter, 11-2, to earn the major decision.
• Bothered by an injury over the last handful of weeks, ninth-ranked Tanner Skidgel (165) returned to the mat where he dealt Ben Anderson a 5-3 loss.Skidgel is now 15-4 overall and 6-2 in dual action and has won nine of his last 10 matches.
• Team captain Spencer Carey cruised to his 16th win of the season with a 9-4 win against Mason Eaglin.
• Dean Caravela (184) reaped the rewards of bumping up a weight class, scoring his first dual victory by pinning Kai Blake (6:01). Caravela had wrestled 11 matches at 174 pounds this season where he posted a 5-6 record.
• Rookie Jacob Koser (197) won his ninth consecutive match with 17-2 tech fall against Vincent Baker. Six of Koser's last seven wins have been either by tech fall (4) or fall (2). The rookie is now 18-5 overall and 10-2 in dual competition.
More From Coach Sharratt
• Building a great team requires resiliency and Dean Caravela bumping up to 184 was a great igniter for the bench today. He scored points in all positions and never let up the pressure while pursuing a pin.
• Jacob Koser was another crowd-pleaser, scoring multiple takedowns and earning near fall points in numerous positions. He is really in a great place, having fun, competing hard and steps it up when the whistle blows.
• Spencer Carey was relentless on his attacks and dominated the shot count. He works unbelievably hard and his style is very entertaining.
125 | Noah Sirianni (NAVY) win by forfeit // Navy 6, Duke 0
133 | Jacob Allen (NAVY) dec Harrison Campbell, 6-2 // Navy 9, Duke 0
141 | Cody Trybus (NAVY) win by forfeit // Navy 15, Duke 0
149 | Wyatt Long (NAVY) dec Wade Unger, 8-5 // Navy 18, Duke 0
157 | Jack Stanton-Taddeo (NAVY) major dec Eric Carter, 11-2 // Navy 22, Duke 0
165 | #9 Tanner Skidgel (NAVY) dec Ben Anderson, 5-3 // Navy 25, Duke 0
174 | Spencer Carey (NAVY) dec Mason Eaglin, 9-4 // Navy 28, Duke 0
184 | Dean Caravela (NAVY) fall Kai Blake, 6:01 // Navy 34, Duke 0
197 | Jacob Koser (NAVY) tech fall Vincent Baker, 17-2 (7:00) // Navy 39, Duke 0
285 | Jonah Niesenbaum injury default John Birchmeier (NAVY), 0:15 // Navy 39, Duke 6
• Navy returns home for its final two matches of the regular season - Feb. 14 vs. Old Dominion and Feb. 22 vs. Army
• Both matches are slated to begin at 7:30 pm at Alumni Hall.