Sparked by junior Andrew Buckley's 10-5 win at 184 pounds, the Navy wrestling team (6-4, 3-1 EIWA) won the final three bouts of the afternoon to earn a 23-15 victory over Drexel (6-7, 2-3 EIWA) Saturday afternoon at Daskalakis Athletic Center in Philadelphia. Navy won the first three and the final three matches of the dual to secure its second victory in as many days (24-21 at American on Friday).
"Grit, determination and resiliency is how I would sum up today's win against Drexel. The team had some factors that did not work in our favor and for the most part, I was pleased with the performance under those circumstances," said sixth-year Navy head coach Joel Sharratt. "We had to wrestle every match and work very hard and disciplined to score our points - they came prepared and ready to fight. In areas where we made mistakes, they where quick to try and capitalize and in a couple instances it cost us match points and team points.
"The focus is improvement every week going forward, keeping the laser sharp on the goals we have ahead of us. I am proud of the staff in the ways they are motivating and inspiring the individuals they each work with as it is showing up in our skills and competitive fire. These guys showed a hunger and swagger that has been building throughout the season and it was great to see some nontraditional guys in the lineup stepping in and scoring big points for this team. The aggressiveness needed to win big matches was evident in today's bouts and the composure to fight to our positions and keep scoring points no matter what the scoreboard said sets today's performance apart from some past performances."
• The Midshipmen moved to 6-4 in dual competition this season, including a 3-1 record against EIWA competition.
• Navy has wrestled three consecutive duals on the road - Lehigh (L, 23-9), American (W, 24-21) and Drexel (W, 23-15) - and will again be away from home next week against George Mason (2/6) and Duke (2/9).
• Navy is now 13-5 all-time against the Dragons, winning each of the last four matches - 25-14 in Annapolis (2016) // 22-13 in Philadelphia (2017) // 25-12 in Annapolis (2019) // 23-15 in Philadelphia (2020).
• Navy evened the series at 3-3 in matches wrestled on Drexel's home mat.
• Navy led by as many as 14 (14-0) and trailed by as many as 1 (15-14).
• The Mids opened the dual by winning three consecutive matches, including bonus point victories by Logan Treaster (16-1 tech fall) and Cody Trybus (fall 4:05) at 125 and 141 pounds, respectively.
• Navy, though, dropped four in a row (149-157-165-174) to find itself trailing (15-14) for the first and only time in the dual.
• First-year starter Andrew Buckley (184), who came into the dual with just one dual victory, sparked the Mids with his 10-5 win over Owen Brooks and put Navy back in the lead for good.
in sudden victory.
• Rookie Jacob Koser (197) won his seven consecutive match with a 1-0 win over Bryan McLaughlin. He improved to 16-5 overall and boasts a team-best 8-2 mark in dual action.
• John Birchmeier (285) secured the Mids' win in the final match of the night with his 7-3 victory over Sean O'Malley.
• After dropping a tough one-point decision on Friday evening at American, 16th-ranked Logan Treaster (125) bounced back with a 16-1 tech fall over Antonio Mininno. Treaster is now just two wins shy of the 20-win mark for the year, while improving to 7-3 in dual action this season.
• Jacob Allen (133) improved to 3-0 in dual matches this season with a 3-1 victory over Chase Shields. He has won five of his last six matches overall.
• Cody Trybus (141) also came back to score a big victory against his Drexel foe after dropping his match on Friday on a last-second takedown. Trybus held the advantage when he turned Tyler Williams and earned his second win this season by way of fall. Trybus is now three wins away from 20 on the year.
Navy 23, Drexel 15
125 | #16 Logan Treaster (NAVY) tech fall Antonio Mininno, 16-1 (7:00) // Navy 5-0
133 | Jacob Allen (NAVY) dec Chase Shields, 3-1 // Navy 8-0
141 | Cody Trybus (NAVY) fall Tyler Williams, 4:05 // Navy 14-0
149 | Nick Widmann dec Val Park (NAVY), 6-4 SV // Navy 14-3
157 | Parker Kropman dec Jared Prince (NAVY), 8-6 // Navy 14-6
165 | #18 Ebed Jarell fall Brian Case (NAVY), 4:41 // Navy 14-12
174 | Michael O'Malley dec Spencer Carey (NAVY), 14-11 // Drexel 15-14
184 | Andrew Buckley (NAVY) dec Owen Brooks, 10-5 // Navy 17-15
197 | Jacob Koser (NAVY) dec Bryan McLaughlin, 1-0 // Navy 20-15
285 | John Birchmeier (NAVY) dec Sean O'Malley, 7-3 // Navy 23-15
• The Midshipmen return to action on Thursday when it makes the short trip to Fairfax, Va. to battle George Mason. Action is slated for 7:00 pm.