NORFOLK, VA -- The nationally-ranked No. 25 Rider University wrestling team earned a 22-10 victory at MAC foe Old Dominion, Sunday afternoon at Chartway Arena. With the win, the Broncs improve to 8-2 (4-1 MAC), while the Monarchs are now 4-8 (2-2 MAC).
Old Dominion earned the first six points of the match, taking sudden-victory wins at 125 and 133, but Rider would answer back with a Peter Lipari (Byram Township, NJ/Bergen Catholic [Rutgers]) decision at 141 over Old Dominion's Sa'Darian Perry, 5-4. Gino Fluri (Blairstown, NJ/North Warren Regional) would build on Lipari's momentum with an overtime victory at 149 over Kenan Carter, 5-2, to even the dual to 6-6. Jesse Dellavecchia's (Great River, NJ/East Islip [Binghamton]) 1-0 decision over Larry Early gave Rider its first lead in the dual, 9-6.
The Monarchs would retake the lead after the intermission at 165 via major decision, but Rider answered back again with four-consecutive wins at 174, 184, 197 and 285 to close out the dual by a 22-10 margin.
Dean Sherry (Brick, NJ/Brick Township) earned a 14-8 decision at 174 over Alex Cramer, while George Walton (Franklin, NJ/Bound Brook) edged Antonio Agee, 4-3, at 184. Ethan Laird (Waterford, PA/General McLane) followed with a win 10-2 major decision at 197 over Timothy Young to clinch the match, while Ryan Cloud (Brookville, OH/Northmont) added a win at 285 over William Halliard, 7-2.
Quotes & Notes
"It was a very good team win today. Pete Lipari and Jesse Dellavecchia both beat returning All-Americans. They are both on the right path and wrestling with confidence." - Rider Head Coach John Hangey
- Old Dominion holds the lead in the all-time series, 9-6-1. Both programs were members of the Colonial Athletic Association from 2001-02 through 2012-13. The last meeting between the Broncs and the Monarchs was at the 2016 Virginia Duals, where Old Dominion claimed a 26-14 victory.
- Perry was ranked No. 1 in the MAC in the January Coaches Rankings, while Lipari had not yet been ranked after joining the Broncs in late December.
- The bout at 157 also represented one of the top matches in the league, with Dellavecchia taking the top spot in the January MAC Coaches Rankings and Early being tabbed third.
- Dellavecchia now has a team-best 20 wins on the season, while Laird is right behind him with 19.
- Rider returns to action Saturday, Jan. 25, when it hosts George Mason in Alumni Gym. The dual is set to begin at 7 p.m.
125: Killian Cardinale (ODU) dec. Jonathan Tropea (RID), 7-5, SV-1; Old Dominion leads, 3-0
133: Shannon Hanna (ODU) dec. Anthony Cefolo (RID), 5-3, SV-1; Old Dominion leads, 6-0
141: Peter Lipari (RID) dec. Sa'Derian Perry (ODU), 5-4; Old Dominion leads, 6-3
149: Gino Fluri (RID) dec. Kenan Carter (ODU), 3-2, TB-1; Match tied, 6-6
157: Jesse Dellavecchia (RID) dec. Larry Early (ODU), 1-0; Rider leads, 9-6
165: Shane Jones (ODU) maj. dec. Joe Casey (RID), 16-3; Old Dominion leads, 10-9
174: Dean Sherry (RID) dec. Alex Cramer (ODU), 14-8; Rider leads, 12-10
184: George Walton (RID) dec. Antonio Agee (ODU), 4-3; Rider leads, 15-10
197: Ethan Laird (RID) maj. dec. Timothy Young (ODU), 10-2; Rider leads, 19-10
285: Ryan Cloud (RID) dec. William Hilliard (ODU), 7-2; Rider wins, 22-10.