BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- Willie Scott (174) worked a tech fall, Gerard Angelo (149) muscled a major decision over a ranked foe and Rutgers wrestling (5-0) won seven of 10 bouts to earn a 24-12 victory over Cal State Bakersfield (0-3) on Saturday afternoon in Bakersfield, California. The win completed a 2-0 road trip for the Scarlet Knights in the Golden State, as RU also collected a 23-13 victory over Fresno State on Friday night in Fresno.
What to Know
• Sammy Alvarez (133) and Zach Firestone (141) both dropped their matches to open the dual as Rutgers fell behind early, 9-0.
• Angelo faced No. 18 Russell Rohlfing in the next match and trailed 2-1 after in the first period before working a near fall to highlight a 13-5 major decision. the victory was the first over a ranked opponent during his short collegiate career.
• Michael Van Brill (157) followed with a 4-2 decision over Wyatt Gerl, but a tough 2-1 loss by Jackson Turley (165) in the following match had RU behind, 12-7, at intermission.
• Despite the slight deficit, it was all Rutgers in its final five bouts. Filling in for Joseph Grello for the second consecutive outing, Scott worked 10 points in the opening period against Josh Annis and left with a 16-1 tech fall in his 2019-20 dual debut.
• The Scarlet Knights close out the dual with four consecutive decisions, as Billy Janzer (184), Matthew Correnti (197), No. 19 Christian Colucci (HWT) and Malcolm Robinson (125) all defeated their foes. It was Correnti's first dual appearance of the young season, as the redshirt junior moved to 5-0 on the season.
133: Chance Rich (CSUB) over Sammy Alvarez (RU) by fall (6:50); CSUB leads, 6-0
141: Angelo Martinoni (CSUB) over Zach Firestone (RU) by decision, 18-12; CSUB leads, 9-0
149: Gerard Angelo (RU) over Russell Rohlfing (CSUB) by major decision, 13-5; CSUB leads, 9-4
157: Mike Vanschenkbrill (RU) over Wyatt Gerl (CSUB) by decision, 4-2; CSUB leads, 9-7
165: Jacob Thalin (CSUB) over Jackson Turley (RU) by decision, 2-1; CSUB leads, 12-7
174: Willie Scott (RU) over Josh Annis (CSUB) by tech fall, 16-1; Rutgers tied, 12-12
184: Billy Janzer (RU) over Josh Loomer (CSUB) by decision, 1-0; Rutgers leads, 15-12
197: Matt Correnti (RU) over Dom Ducharme (CSUB) by decision, 5-2; Rutgers leads, 18-12
285: Christian Colucci (RU) over Jarrod Snyder (CSUB) by decision, 3-2; Rutgers leads, 21-12
125: Malcolm Robinson (RU) over Alejandro Hernandez-Figueroa (CSUB) by decision, 8-2; Rutgers wins, 24-12
Rutgers competes in the Navy Classic on Saturday, Nov. 23 in Annapolis, Maryland.