InterMat Job Board
Assistant Wrestling Coach
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
SUPERVISED BY: Head Men’s & Women’s Wrestling Coach and Athletic Director
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Graduate Assistants and Student Workers
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Assistant Coach of Wrestling is responsible for assisting with the Wrestling program.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Coordinates the recruiting of student-athletes who have the ability and potential, athletically and academically, to achieve success at WBU. In that sense, the Coach serves as a recruiting officer of the University, attracting students to participate in the programs.
2. Assist in the planning, organizing and supervision of the wrestling program.
3. Set forth desired goals for the program.
4. Adhere to all policies and procedures of the NAIA, the Sooner Athletic Conference and WBU.
5. Arrange for the use of facilities and vehicles through the Athletics Director.
6. Arrange for pre-participation physicals and be responsible for securing all pre-participation forms as required by the Athletics Department policy for eligibility purposes.
7. Recommend a preliminary budget for the upcoming season to the Athletic Director and Head Coach. Also, insure that budgeted revenues are achieved and budgeted expenses are not exceeded.
8. Keep records of uniforms, equipment, and supplies issued during the season and submit an inventory of same at the end of the school year to the Athletic Director.
9. Serve the Head Coach as the Coordinator of Wrestling Operations:
a. Coordinate recruiting for the wrestling program by making contacts with potential players and arranging for campus visits
b. Coordinate transportation and travel needs of the wrestling teams
c. Assist the Head Coach in planning, organizing, and supervising the total year round program for the sport. This will include pre and post -season practices as well as tournament events
d. In the absence of the Head Coach, be responsible for the team or a portion of the team in practice and in contests
10. Be instrumental in leading team members to attain Christian growth and high ethical and moral standards.
11. Manages all facilities maintenance, which includes equipment and faculty upkeep and student workers.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Head Men’s & Women’s Wrestling Coach and Athletic Director.
1. Bachelors Degree in Exercise & Sport Science or closely related field is preferred.
2. Masters Degree in Exercise & Sport Science or closely related field is preferred.
Experience and Knowledge:
1. Experience in Wrestling is required.
2. Collegiate coaching experience in Wrestling is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Possess good PC skills and experience in word processing, spreadsheet and database experience.
2. Be able to communicate with the team in practice and competition.
3. Possess written and oral communication skills and be able to communicate with a variety of constituents
The University: Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, twelve external campuses, and the WBUonline offering courses in a broad range of academic areas.
Learn About Us: Candidates are encouraged to learn more at About Wayland.
Application Procedure: Applications may be submitted by downloading it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment.
Interested individuals MUST submit the following information:
1. Letter of Interest
2. Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement (Link to Application Below):https://www.wbu.edu/about/employment/documents/Application-for-employment-addition.pdf
3. Current Resume
4. List of Current References
Please send this information to:
Ron Appling, Director of Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Plainview, TX 79072
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Application Deadline: Position will remain open until filled
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state driver’s license or have access to reliable transportation. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.