InterMat Job Board
Averett University Graduate Assistant/Assistant Coach
Averett University, a Division III member of the NCAA and USA South is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Wrestling Coach. This part time (20-29.5 hours per week) appointment is for 12 months, renewable for a second consecutive year. This position is open to those who are in the process of enrolling in a graduate degree program at Averett University or have recently been accepted to a graduate program at the University.
All Graduate Assistants at Averett University are deemed to be Teaching Assistants (TA), which is a graduate student employed part time in support of the teaching mission of the University. Graduate Assistant coaches are not full-time employees as the TA position is intended for graduate students employed in teaching activities whether in a classroom or with a team (women’s soccer). Athletics is part of the overall educational process and provides life skills lessons and support of the academic process; henceforth referred to as Graduate Assistant Wrestling Coach. Enrollment in one of Averett University’s business or education graduate programs is a requirement of this position.
• Assist head coach in organizing and conducting practices and contests in all aspects necessary in running a competitive Division III program.
• Assist in the recruitment of a diverse group of qualified student athletes for successful participation at the varsity athletic level
• Advise and supervise team members, captains, Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) team representatives and team managers as directed.
• Demonstrate leadership, sportsmanship, and conduct becoming of the coaching profession adhering to all college and professional sport association guidelines
• Adhere to all NCAA, USA South and sport rules and regulations.
• Serve as game administrator at intercollegiate contests as assigned by the department and/or assist in other assigned duties in support of the department and program.
• Bachelor’s degree and successful coaching, playing, and/or teaching experience is required.
• Experience at the intercollegiate level is preferred.
• Valid driver’s license and a clear driving record required.
• Graduate Assistant must remain in good academic standing and dedicated to his/her academic program of study as demonstrated by exceptional class performance.
Graduate Assistant Wrestling Coaches will be provided a compensation package that includes a salary stipend, a stipend for room and board, and graduate program tuition remission with the expectation that they will participate in team nutrition tables; be visible in the dining hall and residence halls after hours to support the Residence Life program; support the afterhours emergency response protocol in place for the University; support and engage students and student athletes in learning opportunities outside of the classroom and playing field through the student life program. Assist in study hall monitoring and academic progress evaluation in support of Student Success Office.
Physical Demands: Light to moderate. Applicants must be able to meet the physical demands of set-up, clean-up and conducting of a game day operations. (i.e. moving benches, chairs, boxes etc.).
Submit Letter of Interest, Current Resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV), and 3 Professional References to: GA Selection Committee, c/o Coach Owen, Averett University, 420 West Main St., Danville, Virginia 24541 Email address: email@example.com
Please use this link to find more information about the graduate programs at Averett University.