ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Michael Sprague and Josh Terao each won matchups between wrestlers ranked earlier in the day by the NCAA to help American University to a 19-18 victory at Navy in an Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association dual match on Thursday.
The Eagles beat the Midshipmen by viture of a tie-breaker, which awarded an extra team point for AU's six wins to Navy's four over the evening.
American, which beat Navy for only the second time in history and the first time since 2009, improved to 5-4 in dual matches this season. Navy fell to 6-3 and 3-2 in the EIWA.
• All six Eagles victories were by decisions, while two of Navy's four wins came by fall.
• Sprague, ranked 33rd nationally, earned a 7-6 win in the tie-breaker period over No. 22 Jared Prince in the opening matchup, giving the Eagles a 3-0 team lead.
• Kizhan Clarke followed with a 3-1 victory at 157.
• The Mids took a 9-6 win with a pin and decision in the next two bouts before 26th-ranked Tanner Harvey tied the match with a 4-0 win at 184.
• Navy got a pin at 197, but a 3-1 win by heavyweight Niko Camacho and a 7-6 triumph by Gage Curry tied the score once again.
• Terao, ranked 18th, beat No. 28 Casey Cobb at 133, before 17th-ranked Nicholas Gil edged No. 30 Jack Mutchnik, 5-1 in the tie-breaker period at 141.
• Terao picked up his 97th career victory and is closing on becoming the ninth Eagle to reach the 100-win plateau in his career.
149: #33 Michael Sprague (AU) dec. #22 Jared Prince, 7-6 (TB-1) AU, 3-0
157: Kizhan Clarke (AU) dec. Quentin Hovis, 3-1 AU, 6-0
165: #26 Tanner Skidgel (Navy) pinned Anthony Wokasch, 3 :23 Tied, 6-6
174: #20 Spencer Carey (Navy) dec. Conner Allshouse, 7-3 Navy, 9-6
184: #26 Tanner Harvey (AU) dec. Anthony Cable, 4-0 Tied, 9-9
197: #31 Joshua Roetman (Navy) pinned Prince Hyeamang, 6:15 Navy, 15-9
285: Niko Camacho (AU) dec. Thomas Ott, 3-1 Navy, 15-12
125: Gage Curry (AU) dec. Jacob Allen, 7-6 Tied, 15-15
133: #18 Josh Terao (AU) dec. #28 Casey Cobb, 4-1 AU, 18-15
141: #17 Nicholas Gil (Navy) dec. #30 Jack Mutchnik, 5-1 (TB-1) Tied, 18-18
AU wins match on tie-breaker… AU won 6 matches, Navy won 4