LEWISBURG, Pa.-- Niko Camacho earned a second-period pin in the heavyweight bout to end a Bucknell rally and lift American University to a 22-21 win over the Bison in an Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association match on Friday night.
Camacho's win was one of three bonus-point victories by the Eagles and set the stage for late wins by Josh Terao and Jack Mutchnik that erased a five-point deficit and helped AU edge the host Bison.
• Michael Sprague scored 26 points and finished a 26-6 technical fall in the opening bout at 149 pounds. Sprague has won four of his last five matches and gave the Eagles an early 5-0 lead.
• Kizhan Clarke lost 7-4 to 10th-ranked Zach Hartman at 157, starting a three-match winning streak by Bucknell, giving the Bison a 14-5 lead.
• Tanner Harvey picked up another technical fall for the Eagles at 184, also rolling up 20 points in a 20-5 win.
• Following a major decision by the Bison at 197, Camacho pinned Eric Chakonis in 3:56 of the heavyweight matchup to bring AU back within 18-16. The win by Camacho improved his dual-match record to 3-5.
• Bucknell won at 125 to go ahead 21-16 before Terao and Mutchnik each posted 8-1 victories to wipe out the deficit and give the Eagles the team win.
COACH MOORE SAID
"Tonight our upper-classmen showed leadership and determination," said head coach Teague Moore. "Michael Sprague scored 26 points to open the dual, and both Josh Terao and Jack Mutchnik battled their way to victories to earn the team victory.
"One of the most exciting moments was seeing freshman Niko Camacho get the fall. He earned that win. Tanner Harvey once again proved that his offense is tough to stop, and we appreciate him digging deep for those bonus team points.
"This was a good wakeup call that we need to work together.
149 - #31 Michael Sprague (AU) tech. fall over Joey Schiele, 26-6 (7:00) AU, 5-0
157 - #10 Zach Hartman (Buck) dec. Kizhan Clarke, 7-4 AU, 5-3
165 - D.J. Hollinghsead (Buck) pinned Anthony Wokasch, 3:46 Buck, 9-5
174 - Nick Stephani (Buck) tech. fall over Colin Shannon, 16-0 (4:55) Buck, 14-5
184 - #27 Tanner Harvey (AU) tech. fall over Jacob Ferreira, 20-5 (6:59) Buck, 14-10
197 - Drew Phipps (Buck) major dec. Prince Hyeamang, 14-0 Buck, 18-10
285 - Niko Camacho (AU) pinned Eric Chakonis, 3:56 Buck, 18-16
125 - Jake Campbell (Buck) dec. Gage Curry, 11-5 Buck, 21-16
133 - #19 Josh Terao (AU) dec. David Campbell, 8-1 Buck, 21-19
141 - #32 Jack Mutchnik (AU) dec. Brett Rezendes, 8-1 AU, 22-21
The Eagles travel to Navy on Feb. 14 before returning home for their final two dual matches of the season. American plays host to George Mason on Friday, Feb. 15 and hosts Senior Night on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. against Old Dominion.