PHILADELPHIA -- Jack Mutchnik earned a third-period takedown and held on for a 3-2 decision in the final bout of the night to help American University beat host Drexel, 21-16, in an Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association dual wrestling match on Saturday.
Mutchnik's tight win in the 141-pound bout followed a first-period pin by Josh Terao in the previous bout that erased a deficit and pushed the Eagles ahead 18-16.
American improved to 3-4 overall and 3-2 against EIWA opponents with the victory.
• Michael Sprague got a late escape and riding-time point in the third period of the opening bout to score a 6-4 decision at 149.
• Kizhan Clarke followed with a 3-1 win at 157, with the difference coming on a third-period takedown that broke a tie.
• Drexel got bonus-point victories in the next two bouts to take a 10-6 lead before Tanner Harvey got three takedowns in an 8-3 victory at 184 that brought the Eagles back to 10-9.
• Prince Hyeamang and Niko Camacho lost decisions to ranked opponents at 197 and heavyweight to keep Drexel ahead only 16-9 before the match headed to the lighter weights.
• Gage Curry ended Drexel's rally with a 4-3 win at 125 that again came with a third-period takedown that erased a late deficit.
COACH MOORE SAID
"This was a total team effort tonight. We had matches that easily could have gone the other way if we don't dig deep and show the grit that we did. Jack Mutchnik, Josh Terao, and Michael Sprsgue showed leadership and heart tonight. I'm very proud of this team."
149 - #31 Michael Sprague (AU) dec. Parker Kropman, 6-4 AU, 3-0
157 - Kizhan Clarke (AU) dec. Evan Barczak, 3-1 AU, 6-0
165 - #15 Ebed Jarrell (Drexel) pinned Elijah Murphy, 2:19 Tied, 6-6
174 - Bryan McLaughlin (Drexel) major dec. Conner Allshouse, 15-6 Drex, 10-6
184 - #27 Tanner Harvey (AU) dec. Anthony Walters, 8-3 Drex, 10-9
197 - #15 Stephen Loiseau (Drexel) dec. Prince Hyeamang, 7-2 Drex, 13-9
285 - #18 Joey Goodhart (Drexel) dec. Niko Camacho, 5-2 Drex, 16-9
125 - Gage Curry (AU) dec. Antonio Mininno, 4-3 Drex, 16-12
133 - #19 Josh Terao (AU) pinned Chandler Olson, 1:36 AU, 18-16
141 - #32 Jack Mutchnik (AU) dec. Nicholas Widmann, 3-2 AU, 21-16