LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J. -- The Rider University wrestling team remained unbeaten in EWL action with a 23-10 win over Clarion Saturday afternoon at Alumni Gymnasium. With the win, the Broncs (7-3, 4-0 EWL) handed the Golden Eagles (5-5, 2-1 EWL) their first league loss.
The Broncs started out strong with wins by major decision from both Jonathan Tropea (Harrington Park, NJ/Saint Joseph) and Anthony Cefolo (Florham Park, NJ/Hanover Park Regional) and never trailed in the match. The win was Cefolo's seventh in as many matches.
Travis Layton (Woodstown, NJ/Woodstown), Gino Fluri (Blairstown, NJ/North Warren Regional), Jesse Dellavecchia (Great River, NY/East Islip), Michale Fagg-Daves (Somerset, NJ/Franklin) and Ryan Cloud (Brookville, OH/Northmont) each earned decisions to push the Broncs to the victory.
Quotes & Notes
"This was as close as we've gotten to our best line-up."
"We've got to be more ready in the first period, so that we can go out and get on top and not give them takedowns early and then let them on top longer in the match. And more aggressive because we have to trust our shape a little bit more. I feel like we're in as good of shape as anybody, but we have to impose our will more."
"I think they've responded to what we've challenged them on. I think their aggressiveness is where it needs to be. It always needs to be worked on and improved on. But I feel like they're committed to their training at a higher level. It shows, because I feel like we got Clarion tired in the third period in a lot of our matches and did some scoring at the end of the matches." - Rider Head Coach John Hangey
"The past two seasons have been decent, but this year I've picked it up pretty good. It's been a good season so far, so hopefully I can keep the progress going." - Rider redshirt junior Anthony Cefolo
- Rider has controlled the all-time series with Clarion, 16-4. However, today's win avenges an 18-17 heartbreaker last season, the Broncs' lone conference dual setback.
- Rider (4-0) and Lock Haven (3-0) are the EWL's final remaining unbeaten teams. The Broncs and Bald Eagles square off on Friday at 6 p.m. from Thomas Fieldhouse.
- Tropea, Cefolo, Layton, Fluri, Dellavecchia and Fagg-Daves remain unbeaten in EWL action.
- Cefolo has now won five-straight matches with bonus points. He entered the bout with four-straight wins by fall.
- Dellavecchia has a team-high 19 wins and a 9-0 mark in duals.
- Fluri, Layton and Tropea each won for the 14th time, tying Ethan Laird (Waterford, PA/General McLane) for second on the team.
125 - Jonathan Tropea (Rider) maj. dec. Gavin Park (Clarion), 13-4; Rider leads, 4-0
133 - Anthony Cefolo (Rider) maj. dec. Seth Koleno (Clarion), 11-3; Rider leads, 8-0
141 - Travis Layton (Rider) dec. Jalin Hankerson (Clarion), 5-3; Rider leads, 11-0
149 - Avery Shay (Clarion) maj. dec. Evan Fidelibus (Rider), 9-0; Rider leads, 11-4
157 - Gino Fluri (Rider) dec. Mike Bartolo (Clarion), 3-2; Rider leads, 14-4
165 - #14 Jesse Dellavecchia (Rider) dec. Evan Delong (Clarion), 6-2; Rider leads, 17-4
174 - Max Wohlabaugh (Clarion) dec. Dean Sherry (Rider), 6-2; Rider leads, 17-7
184 - Michale Fagg-Daves (Rider) dec. Ty Bagoly (Clarion), 10-4; Rider leads, 20-7
197 - #14 Greg Bulsak (Clarion) dec. Ethan Laird (Rider), 9-5; Rider leads, 20-10
285 - Ryan Cloud (Rider) dec. Toby Cahill (Clarion), 8-2; Rider wins, 23-10