FAIRFAX, VA -- Anthony Cefolo (Florham Park, NJ/Hanover Park Regional) won his sixth-straight match, including four-straight by fall, as the Rider University wrestling team overpowered George Mason, 30-6, Thursday night. With the win, the Broncs are now 6-3 (3-0 EWL), while the Patriots finish the conference slate at 7-5 (3-3 EWL).
Rider never trailed in the match, winning the first three bouts and eight of the first nine. Cefolo, Jesse Dellavecchia (Great River, NY/East Islip) and Michale Fagg-Daves (Somerset, NJ/Franklin) each earned bonus points - Cefolo by fall, Dellavecchia by a 15-0 tech fall and Fagg-Daves by major decision. Jonathan Tropea (Harrington Park, NJ/Saint Joseph (Montvale)), Travis Layton (Woodstown, NJ/Woodstown), Gino Fluri (Blairstown, NJ/North Warren Regional), George Walton (Franklin, NJ/Bound Brook) and Ethan Laird (Waterford, PA/General McLane) also took decisions.
Quotes & Notes
"I liked our aggressiveness tonight. Every EWL match is hard fought and very important for individual seeding at the conference. Gino wrestled well tonight. He's gaining confidence, which is important for the end of the year. We have another important dual with Clarion this Saturday, so we have to be ready to wrestle hard again." - Rider Head Coach John Hangey
- Rider has controlled the all-time series with George Mason, 16-1. The lone GMU win came in 2007-08.
- Rider (3-0), Lock Haven (3-0) and Clarion (2-0) remain unbeaten in the EWL. All others have at least three losses in the league.
- Cefolo's sixth win by fall leads the team, while Dellavecchia has a team-high 18 wins and an 8-0 mark in duals.
- Laird is now second on the team with 14 wins on the year, while Fluri, Layton and Tropea each won for the 13th time. .
- The Broncs return to EWL action Saturday, when they host Clarion at 2 p.m.
125: Jonathon Tropea (RIDER) over Talha Farooq (GMU) (Dec 15-9)
133: Anthony Cefelo (RIDER) over Spencer Reed (GMU) (Fall 5:40)
141: Travis Layton (RIDER) over Julio Alegria (GMU) (Dec 10-8)
149: Tejon Anthony (GMU) over Gary Dinmore (RIDER) (Dec 8-4)
157: Gino Fluri (RIDER) over Kolby Ho (GMU) (Dec 6-5)
165: Jesse Dellavecchia (RIDER) over Ryan Yorkdale (GMU) (TF 15-0 4:59)
174: George Walton (RIDER) over Neil Schuster (GMU) (Dec 7-2)
184: Michale Fagg-Daves (RIDER) over Paul Pierce (GMU) (MD 14-6)
197: Ethan Laird (RIDER) over Eli Spencer (GMU) (Dec 3-1)
285: Matt Voss (GMU) over Ryan Cloud (RIDER) (Dec 5-0)