Hempstead, NY -- Sophomore Sage Heller, junior Nezar Haddad and senior Michael Hughes each recorded wins by fall and the Pride added four more bonus point wins to lead Hofstra to a 45-3 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association victory over the Pioneers of Sacred Heart at the David S. Mack Physical Education Center Sunday afternoon.
Hofstra, which snapped a two-match losing skid, improved to 9-9 on the season and evened its EIWA record at 3-3. Sacred Heart, which dropped its fourth consecutive match, falls to 2-9 on the year and 0-4 in the EIWA.
The Pride went up early, 12-0 before the first decision was made on the mat as Sacred Heart forfeited matches at 125 and 133 pounds. Hofstra sophomore Vinny Vespa then tallied a 17-2 tech fall over Shaun Williams at the 4:36 mark at 141, and junior Ryan Burkert added a 14-3 major decision over Alex Harnsberger at 149 to boost the Pride lead to 21-0.
Sacred Heart's Paul Klee gave the Pioneers their only win with a 9-8 decision over Chris Mauriello at 157. But red-shirt freshman Ricky Stamm held on to a 9-8 decision at 165 before Sage Heller pinned Chris Zaccaria at the 3:34 mark of the 174-pound match. Red-shirt freshman Anthony Olivieri followed with a 7-4 win by decision at 184 for a 33-3 lead. Hofstra closed out the match with pins by Haddad at the 2:19 mark of the 197-pound match and Hughes at the 0:37 mark of the 285-pound match.
Hofstra returns to action next Saturday, February 17 when the Pride host their final two EIWA matches of the regular season when they host Brown at 1 p.m. and Harvard at 6 p.m. at the David S. Mack Physical Education Center.
- Hofstra honored its three graduating wrestling seniors, Bobby Fehr, Connor Muli and Michael Hughes in pre-match ceremonies
- Heller recorded his ninth win by fall of the year to improve to 12-10 on the season and 4-2 in the EIWA.
- Haddad nailed down his first pin of the season to boost his season record to 16-12 and 4-2 in the EIWA
- Hughes improved to 29-2 on the year and 6-0 in the EIWA with his 15th pin of the season. He was tied for second in the nation with 14 pins last week.
- Sacred Heart had a rough EIWA weekend, losing to Brown at home on Saturday, 44-0 before the Hofstra 45-3 decision on Sunday
- Hughes was honored at halftime with a framed photo commemorating his 100th career victory on January 14
125: Jacob Martin (HOFS) over (SAHE) (For.)
133: Garrett Lambert (HOFS) over (SAHE) (For.)
141: Vinny Vespa (HOFS) over Shaun Williams (SAHE) (TF 17-2 4:36)
149: Ryan Burkert (HOFS) over Alex Harnsberger (SAHE) (MD 14-3)
157: Paul Klee (SAHE) over Chris Mauriello (HOFS) (Dec 9-8)
165: Ricky Stamm (HOFS) over William Schmidt (SAHE) (Dec 9-8)
174: Sage Heller (HOFS) over Chris Zaccaria (SAHE) (Fall 3:34)
184: Anthony Olivieri (HOFS) over Mark Boyle (SAHE) (Dec 7-4)
197: Nezar Haddad (HOFS) over Joe Toci (SAHE) (Fall 2:19)
285: Michael Hughes (HOFS) over John Hartnett (SAHE) (Fall 0:37)