BLACKSBURG -- Head coach Kevin Dresser has announced the matchups for the Virginia Tech wrestling program's annual Maroon & Orange scrimmage. The intrasquad will take place on Saturday, Oct. 29, at 1! 0 a.m. in the back gym of Cassell Coliseum.
The scrimmage is free admission and updates can be found on Twitter, @VT_Wrestling, and Facebook.
The Hokies enter the 2016-17 campaign ranked No. 4 by FloWrestling and No. 6 by InterMat after finishing fourth, a program-best, at the NCAA Wrestling Championships last season. Tech also finished with an undefeated ACC dual season and a big victory over Michigan in the inaugural National Duals Championship Series.
Nine NCAA qualifiers, six All-Americans and two defending ACC champions are back for the Hokies including seniors Joey Dance at 125 and heavyweight Ty Walz. Walz will be competing in the prestigious NWCA All-Star Classic for the second-consecutive year on Nov. 5 in his native Cleveland. Also competing on Saturday in the back gym will be All-Americans Zach Epperly, Solomon Chishko and Jared Haught.
The Hokies will open the season at home on Saturday, November 5th, with a doubleheader in Cassell Coliseum, taking on Edinboro and VMI beginning at 1 p.m.
1. 157 (1) - Derek Ciavarro vs. Sal Mastriani
2. 157 (2) - Ryan Blees vs. B.C. LaPrade
3. 174 - Cody Hughes vs. Brooks Wilding
4. 125 - Joey Dance vs. Joey Prata
5. 133 - Ryan Haskett vs. Dominic Latona
6. 141 - Dennis Gustafson vs. Brendan Ryan
7. 149 - Solomon Chishko vs. Mattheos Lozier
8. 165 - David Bergida vs. Mike Ciavarro
9. 184 - Zack Zavatsky vs. T.J. Allen
10. 197 - Jared Haught vs. Dylan Cook
11. 157 - 157 1 winner vs. 157 2 winner
12. 174 - Zach Epperly vs. Match 3 winner