LEWISBURG, Pa. -- Senior Harry Turner (Howell, N.J./Howell) picked up a third-period pin in the night's final bout, sealing victory for the Lock Haven University wrestling team as the Bald Eagles topped host-Bucknell, 23-16 in thrilling fashion.
Lock Haven (6-5) picked up five wins on the night including, Turner's late-pin and a tech fall from Fred Garcia (Donora, Pa./Ringgold), which helped earn the thrilling road-win and snap a three-match losing skid.
The win also marked The Haven's first win over Bucknell (6-10) since 2008. LHU had lost the previous three meetings to the Bison.
The Bald Eagles also got wins from Bobby Rehm (Lancaster, Pa./Penn Manor), Dan Neff (Quarryville, Pa./Solanco) and Billy Randt (York, Pa./West York).
Rehm won by forfeit to open the night at 125 and Neff, who is ranked in all three major polls, won, 3-1 at 141.
Randt picked up an important win at 157, as he downed Vincent Favia, 3-1.
Garica's tech fall at 184 proved to be a major factor in the outcome of the match. Garica, ranked No. 29 dominated Robert Marchese, 21-6 on the way to the win.
Trailing in the third period, Turner scored a takedown and quickly pinned Joe Stolfi, with just over a minute left in the match to seal the win for LHU.
Lock Haven travels to rival-Bloomsburg for the Bald Eagles' Eastern Wrestling League (EWL) finale on Friday, February 15 (7 p.m.). The Huskies are ranked No. 14 in this week's USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches' Poll.
125: Bobby Rehm (LHU) wins by forfeit
133: Paul Petrov (BKN) maj. dec. Cody Wheeler (LHU), 13-3.
141: No. 18 Dan Neff (LHU) dec. Derrik Russell (BKN), 3-1.
149: Adam Healey (BKN) dec. Mac Maldarelli (LHU), 3-1 (sv1)
157: Billy Randt (LHU) dec. Vincent Favia (BKN), 3-1
165: No. 17 Corey Lear (BKN) dec. Aaron McKinney (LHU), 2-0
174: Robert Schlitt (BKN) dec. Tyler Wood (LHU), 6-5.
184: Fred Garcia (LHU) tech fall Robert Marchese (BKN), 21-6
197: Tyler Lyster (BKN) dec. Phil Sprenkle (LHU), 7-2.
285: Harry Turner (LHU) pinned Joe Stolfi (BKN), 5:57
FINAL: Lock Haven 23 – Bucknell 16
Lock Haven (6-5)
- LHU snapped a three-match losing streak to Bucknell. Lock Haven is now 16-3 all-time vs. the Bison.
- Prior to tonight, Lock Haven's last win over Bucknell came in 2008 (2007-08 season). The two teams did not meet during the 2008-09 season.
- Last year, Bucknell won 28-13 as LHU posted just three wins. Fred Garcia and Harry Turner accounted for two of those wins.
- LHU is ranked No. 47 in the Takedown Wrestling Media Dual Impact Index, Bucknell is ranked No. 49.
- Lock Haven was coming off an, 18-16 EWL loss to rival-Clarion (2/1/13). LHU won five matches in the loss.
- Fred Garcia (184) had his nine-match win streak snapped in the loss to Pitt (1/26/13), but he rebounded with a win in the loss to Clarion.
- Bobby Rehm (125) had a five-match win streak snapped in the loss to Clarion.
- Dan Neff (141) made his debut last week in the InterMat and Amateur Wrestling News rankings. He's ranked again this week in both polls (#18 AWN / #19 InterMat).
- Both Neff and Garcia are ranked in the Gregg Henry's/WrestlingReport Rankings (Neff, #20 / Garcia, #29).
- LHU head coach Robbie Waller is now 18-37 (active) in his four seasons.
- LHU is 2-2 on the road this year. The Bald Eagles are 2-3 at home.
- Aaron McKinney and Dan Neff pace Lock Haven with 23 wins on the year.